• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bow Pulpit for Ericson 32

SSawyer

Moral of the story? If you're a good skipper (which under normal circumstances I do claim to be), when you're sailing-experienced friends askes to take your boat into the slip, you will stay nearby to assist. You will not head forward to stays and simply assume that they will steer clear of the concrete piling at the end of the finger dock.

My stomach churns just thinking about it.

My bow pulpit is pretty messed up too, and unfortunately pepto bismol doesn't make something that will easily fix this one.

I'm in the market for a replacement that will fit my 1985 Ericson 32, either that or I'm going to have my brother bring out his welder. Anyone else have this experience or any advice to share?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably same part, but is this an E-32-3, or an E-32-200 ?

I have had repairs done on our bow pulpit, and it looks like new .... now. It may have collided with a steel piling, but I do not wish to comment further at this time... :)
A good SS fab. shop can often do wonders. Take a lot of *careful* and detailed measurements of the feet positions when you remove it.
You can save real money by restoring the mirror shine yourself after they get the initial welding and grinding done and the surface is smooth.

Last edited:

SSawyer

Thanks Loren! She's an E-32-3.
I'll look around for a good SS fab. shop and post once I have things to report.

It'll take me a couple of days, so if anyone else has recommendations please don't be shy.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This is the place to go in Southern Cal. There is, or used to be, a San Francisco firm of same name. Anyhow, any similar shop. Stainless tubing is common in industry and fabrication not very expensive.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The pulpit removes easily from the four stanchion bases, so you can just remove the piece and bring it in. Make note of the measurements you need between all the stanchion bases so the repaired piece still lines up with the bases. I'd also inspect all the stanchion bases closely. If bent/deformed, the bedding material beneath may have been disturbed causing future leaks.

SSawyer

This is the place to go in Southern Cal. There is, or used to be, a San Francisco firm of same name. Anyhow, any similar shop. Stainless tubing is common in industry and fabrication not very expensive.

Excellent! Over the moon to hear that it might not cost me an arm and a leg after all. It looks like Railmakers in Richmond has permanently closed, but I reached out to the Southern Cal location for recommendations.

SSawyer

The pulpit removes easily from the four stanchion bases, so you can just remove the piece and bring it in. Make note of the measurements you need between all the stanchion bases so the repaired piece still lines up with the bases. I'd also inspect all the stanchion bases closely. If bent/deformed, the bedding material beneath may have been disturbed causing future leaks.
Thank you for pointing that out as well, it pulpit itself is pretty mangled so I'll do some examining when I remove the piece.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You will, IMHO, need to get at the underside of the deck to access the nuts and backing plates. Also the one leg with the lighting cable from the nav light.
Not sure about access on this model, but you may have to remove the anchor well "tub". I have helped a friend with this removal on a 32-3. Tedious work, but quite do-able.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I would also price your job at Svendsen’s metal shop in Point Richmond. They make biminis etc and have good service in my experience.

SSawyer

Thank you all for your advice, it's very much appreciated and been absolutely invaluable throughout this process.

I ended up reaching out to a fabricator up here in Alameda/Richmond that I was referred to by Railmakers. Unfortunately, because we had some hard angles bent into the metal and even damage on a weld he needed to build it from scratch. We did have to go through and remove the anchor tub but so far everything seems pretty straightforward. My husband and I are headed down this weekend to clean out the tub and survey things this weekend but I'm feeling really good about getting this fixed and back on the water.