• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bowed structural support (in cabin) holding mast, unsure why and is it fixable?

LeifThor

Member III
A few months ago I-
-Took the mast off
-Replaced the compression plate
-Beefed up structure of mast
-New rigging

Before, during, and after the mast was off, the head door closed exactly the same, with ease.

Then, after the mast was back on, unsure about of the lower shrouds, I detensioned the lower shrouds and removed the one in question (starboard aft) to have it stress tested, which it passed fine.

But immediately after loosening the lower shrouds, a bow appeared in the support member between the ceiling and sole in the cabin (also the corner of the head), and the head door wouldn't close. I didn't think much of it thinking once the lower shrouds were retentioned it would be fine again, but after retentioning the lower shrouds it was still bowed. trying to put a measurement to the bow, I'd say it's 1/8 to 3/16ths of an inch bowed with the bow (center of the support) bowing towards the bow/front.

**But here's the weird thing** The support member is straight and true. There's no evidence of a shift of even a millimeter at the top or bottom of the support beam.

Has anyone experienced a bow in this support, and did they find the problem and the solution????

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Following the force downward, I wonder if the bilge area and cabin sole is yielding slightly? (This happened on my prior boat with a deck stepped spar.)
The bottom of the the support post is resting on something that may have some give to it, perhaps ...
(Finishing up the repair may require some work under the sole.)

Last edited:

LeifThor

Member III
Following the force downward, I wonder if the bilge area and cabin sole is yielding slightly? (This happened on my prior boat with a deck stepped spar.)
The bottom of the the support post is resting on something that may have some give to it, perhaps ...
Yeah it might be that. I just talked to a salty dog who had a good suggestion. When I loosened the lowers, the boom was tensioned downward (my screwup) which may have shifted the support slightly. So I’ve loosened the lower shrouds along with the boom and I’ll let that sit a couple days and see it it comes back to shape.