• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bowsprit Anyone??

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Hey, Pajo!

I put a SS bail on the end of my anchor-roller, and installed a block there for a tack-line. It is secured with a "fast-pin", doesn't get in the way of my anchor when stowed, and can be removed in an instant when it is time to anchor. It generally gets the tack of the asym "just enough" in front of the headstay to make it work.

Might be worth a try before you put a lot of time or money into installing a bowsprit...

View attachment 28268
This is a great idea for a tack-line and it’s similar to one I did on my E32 but in my case I had a s/s “U” shape welded to the outside of the anchor roller and towards the front. (Sorry I don’t have a photo) I felt that was a lot more secure then a bail attached with just screws but everyone has their preference.

p.gazibara

Member III
Tested out the sprit for the first time last weekend. Wow, pull a line and the kite comes out. Pull another and the kite goes away. It’s amazing.

IMG_20210103_124552.jpg

It was my first time seeing the sail unrolled!

I lucked into such a deal. $500 for the furler and sail. The sprit I made from an old collapsable spinnaker pole and fittings I salvaged from our reaching strut.

At the moment I’m controlling the luff via halyard tension. I upgraded the old barient 18 single speed winches on my cabintop to Lewmar 40’s (two speed). I also made wedges for under the winches so the lead angles from the mast are fair. Really makes a difference!

Very excited for the upgrades. It felt really good to blow by all the other boats sail back up river.

Cinderella turns 50 this year.

-P

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Tested out the sprit for the first time last weekend. Wow, pull a line and the kite comes out. Pull another and the kite goes away. It’s amazing.

View attachment 36733

It was my first time seeing the sail unrolled!

I lucked into such a deal. $500 for the furler and sail. The sprit I made from an old collapsable spinnaker pole and fittings I salvaged from our reaching strut.

At the moment I’m controlling the luff via halyard tension. I upgraded the old barient 18 single speed winches on my cabintop to Lewmar 40’s (two speed). I also made wedges for under the winches so the lead angles from the mast are fair. Really makes a difference!

Very excited for the upgrades. It felt really good to blow by all the other boats sail back up river.

Cinderella turns 50 this year.

-P
Is there a line that runs down from the tip of the sprit to the leading edge of the bow? Or does the pole bear all of the lifting load?

p.gazibara

Member III
Is there a line that runs down from the tip of the sprit to the leading edge of the bow? Or does the pole bear all of the lifting load?

I mad a bobstay out of dyneema. I installed a u-bolt about a foot above the waterline at the bow. The bobstay is on a 2:1 and eventually goes through the clutch pictured.

I still have some tweaking to do, but happy so far.

Sailingfun

Member III
A bowsprit is something to haunt me sometimes at night... tototo need a bowsprit.... I need to move the sailing point forward... but... it's not just the bowsprit, it's the roller furler or he sock plus the sail... another 2/3K just there... And in the bay, you have almost always good wind.. but I would love install one.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks good Pajo. Is that a zode zero? It looks like the torsion line is in the luff of the sail.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
One thing I have found helpful is to have a pendent (?) from the clew to the sheets. The pendent stays with the asymmetrical when furled and keeps it from unraveling when it is stowed in its bag.spin3a.JPG

p.gazibara

Member III
Looks good Pajo. Is that a zode zero? It looks like the torsion line is in the luff of the sail.
I don’t think it’s a code zero, the facnor furler is compatible with top down furling, but the sail I have is more a gennaker, the line in the luff is not really anti-torsion. The furler furls from the bottom up.

I works brilliantly.