• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Brightwork / varnish recommendations

It seems every time I start a new project and begin researching 'the best' or 'recommended' it leads to more questions than answers.

My latest project is building a new holder for my chartplotter. When we originally bought our chartplotter the shop had used NavPod waterproof case. It was in great shape and was the correct size for the chartplotter, but was too narrow and didn't fit. We have pondered since that time on how we could make it work. The researching. I finally saw a YouTube video and noticed they had close to what I was thinking and took a photo of the video to use for inspiration.

I have now completed the prototype made out of marine plywood (I will likely change to a solid wood if it works to match the teak table in the cockpit). This solves the first challenge how to make it fit. The next question is finishing, so again I searched for the best marine finish and again have more questions than answers. So, although I have searched the threads I wanted to put it out to the group. What do you recommend and why?

I will be able to refinish in a controlled environment and then take to the boat, but this won't always be the case. I will likely be on the boat when I refinish other items and would like to use something that is versatile and relatively easy to use. I look forward to your responses.

Shannon

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Shannon,
I have tried many marine vanishes over the years, and most are good, but they do vary a bit in shade of amber and in viscosity, with Epifanes being one of the thickest, and also among the most expensive.
In recent years I have had great success with Helmsman exterior in the green can, available in half pint, pint and litre size at Canadian Tire and most hardware stores, at about half the price of marine varnish. It goes on nicely, holds up well with UV protection, can be applied with foam or regular brush.
Frank

Brand of varnish mostly personal taste, or habit, they're all good. Use high gloss. My brand choice is Interlux Schooner.

Put on many coats--at least seven. Then, with the all-important Sunbrella cover against UV and weather, should last for years.
So true! Everyone seems to have their personal favourite. I decided to take a trip to my local marine shop this morning after posting this and walked out with Interlux Schooner.

Now to do the final prep sand and begin. From what I have read I will start with 50% thinner for the first coat and then 25%? Then full varnish for the remaining coats? How long do you wait between coats?

Hi Shannon,
I have tried many marine vanishes over the years, and most are good, but they do vary a bit in shade of amber and in viscosity, with Epifanes being one of the thickest, and also among the most expensive.
In recent years I have had great success with Helmsman exterior in the green can, available in half pint, pint and litre size at Canadian Tire and most hardware stores, at about half the price of marine varnish. It goes on nicely, holds up well with UV protection, can be applied with foam or regular brush.
Frank
Thanks Frank, I ended up with a marine varnish for my first try. Have you found much of a difference with the regular versus marine varnish (outside of cost)?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Shannon,

Thinned Schooner dries fast, but for the buildup coats I wait a full day between coats.

There are quick-dry varnishes that allow 2 or even three coats a day, which speeds things up.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks Frank, I ended up with a marine varnish for my first try. Have you found much of a difference with the regular versus marine varnish (outside of cost)?
I initially stayed with marine varnish, expecting it would be better and more "suitable". But having used Helmsman for several years now, I think it's just as good for half the cost. Everyone has their own preferences for varnish, and they do differ some in depth of amber colour and viscosity. There are now even some that are water based for easy cleanup and faster recoating, but for now, Helmsman exterior is my choice.
Frank

I initially stayed with marine varnish, expecting it would be better and more "suitable". But having used Helmsman for several years now, I think it's just as good for half the cost. Everyone has their own preferences for varnish, and they do differ some in depth of amber colour and viscosity. There are now even some that are water based for easy cleanup and faster recoating, but for now, Helmsman exterior is my choice.
Frank
Having seen your boat, I trust your recommendation :)

Michael Edwards

Member II
I used a relatively new …dare I say it Minwax Pro Series Spar Urethane water based finish. I applied four coats on our teak interior. We used satin on the bulkheads and gloss on the trim. no smells, water clean up, no runs or drips or sagging
As a trim carpenter I never liked the yellow canned stuff, but but I bought a small can and experimented in the shop.
In the past I was an Epithanes guy. Tung oil and very good varnish results, but… it was so slow to cure before sanding between coats!
I recomend trying the Pro Series. Also it’s a light color, which was important on our E-32.

I used a relatively new …dare I say it Minwax Pro Series Spar Urethane water based finish. I applied four coats on our teak interior. We used satin on the bulkheads and gloss on the trim. no smells, water clean up, no runs or drips or sagging
As a trim carpenter I never liked the yellow canned stuff, but but I bought a small can and experimented in the shop.
In the past I was an Epithanes guy. Tung oil and very good varnish results, but… it was so slow to cure before sanding between coats!
I recomend trying the Pro Series. Also it’s a light color, which was important on our E-32.
No smell, water clean up. I'm intrigued. That would be a great option especially working in small spaces such as the interior. Thanks for the tip!

Michael Edwards

Member II
I want to say that we are very happy with how things turned after a year, it looks the same.
On our skylight hatch I used an epoxy that is blended with solar protection and a Sunbrella cover. That is an expensive finish, but the difficulty in refinishing justified the expense.
I am planning to use the Pro Series on the hatch boards next week. They are a bit beaten up. The finish held up to the weather, but not to me.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I always thought spar varnish smells lovely!

As a child I remember the peculiar smell it (along with tobacco) coming off the few old creeky, muscle ridden, wooden liveaboard boats at the marina, and not knowing what it was until many years later when I had use for it.