• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bruce Anchor Chock

graywoods

My e29 came with a Bruce Anchor Chock, but without the anchor, so it has always been a rather odd looking deck decoration.

When I finally got around to getting an anchor for it, something went oddly wrong.

Wondering if anyone else has one of these?

Thanks.BruceAnchroChockSmall.jpg

u079721

Contributing Partner
I don't have one either, so I can't really help you. But that does not seem to make any sense. What holds the anchor down? And could it be any more in the way sticking up in the air like that? Does one of the end flukes fit inside that slot? That might make more sense.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I don't have one either, so I can't really help you. But that does not seem to make any sense. What holds the anchor down? And could it be any more in the way sticking up in the air like that? Does one of the end flukes fit inside that slot? That might make more sense.
Hi,
I have never seen one of those in my 28 years of sailboat ownership. My Bruce anchor fits very nicely over the bow roller with the flukes just in front of the stem. It is held in place by a bolt through the anchor roller frame and the anchor. Easy to deploy, secure in waves.
Frank

graywoods

The end flukes don't fit in the chock at all, they are too thick.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Beats me how to use it but that ain't it :).

Claw-style anchors seem designed to be hung over the bow on a roller. Maybe that's to secure the shank end?

bruce.JPG

graywoods

Beats me how to use it but that ain't it :).

Claw-style anchors seem designed to be hung over the bow on a roller. Maybe that's to secure the shank end?

View attachment 35853
Good thought. Here is another view of the anchor chock.
There is an anchor roller, and it is where the Danforth anchor is stored (that is where the chain is attached).
The chock is too far from the anchor roller to hold the shank of an anchor stored on the roller, unless the shank is really long.

BruceAnchorOnBowSmall.jpg

Last edited:

Gaviate

Member III
Well puzzles are supposed to be fun so....place the thing on its back, turn shank end towards bow and slide till neck is nestled in chock....there wasn't that fun? I actually have no idea how the design works but thinking it sorta looks possible...but also what a hazard to have on deck, my shins and ankles bleed quite easily I've found.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This "how to fit it" puzzle is a major reason we have stuck with the Danforth 12H that our anchor locker was -litterally- molded to fit. There is no place to store one of those alternate-shaped anchors.
My unscientific guess is that the majority of the 'claw style' anchors are always chocked in their bow roller assembly for that reason on other boats.