• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Built my own sliding hatch. Opinions?

Bort

The sliding hatch on my E27 was an absolute mess. You could poke your finger through it in multiple spots, and everytime we used it, it would rain wood down into the cabin.

I couldn't find anyone that was making these, so I ended up making my own from scratch and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. I sealed the whole thing in West System Epoxy, followed by UV resistant varnish and some UHMW sliders to help with the stickiness that always seems to develop on the original sliders too.

Please forgive the mismatched color, I need to strip the dropboards and other brightwork and stain them to match too.

When I was building it I had to make up some jigs, which I still have. I know I would loved to have found someone to build me one, so I'm wondering if there would be any interest in me making some more for other boats. I'd put them in the for sale forum, but I thought I'd show off the fruits of my labor and get your thoughts to boot.
PXL_20210926_010117860.jpgPXL_20210927_181315978.jpgPXL_20211002_192704046.jpgPXL_20211002_205822312.jpgPXL_20211003_224002038.jpgPXL_20211003_224008038.jpgadded

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The sliding hatch on my E27 was an absolute mess. You could poke your finger through it in multiple spots, and everytime we used it, it would rain wood down into the cabin.

I couldn't find anyone that was making these, so I ended up making my own from scratch and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. I sealed the whole thing in West System Epoxy, followed by UV resistant varnish and some UHMW sliders to help with the stickiness that always seems to develop on the original sliders too.

Please forgive the mismatched color, I need to strip the dropboards and other brightwork and stain them to match too.

When I was building it I had to make up some jigs, which I still have. I know I would loved to have found someone to build me one, so I'm wondering if there would be any interest in me making some more for other boats. I'd put them in the for sale forum, but I thought I'd show off the fruits of my labor and get your thoughts to boot.
View attachment 40779View attachment 40780View attachment 40781View attachment 40782View attachment 40783View attachment 40784added
That looks lovely!! Keep going with your idea.:)
Frank

Bort

Tongue and groove tigerwood. I had to cut my own tongue and grooves on some of the pieces after trimming them to fit. A cover would be great! I have a sewing machine, it's on my list of things to learn soon.

I'd kind of like to upgrade to a 38-200 before I completely redo this entire boat, but that's a sizeable step up!

megamankf67

View attachment 40779View attachment 40780View attachment 40781View attachment 40782View attachment 40783View attachment 40784added
Fantastic work! Sign me up, E-27.

Bort

Thanks everyone!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, between thanksgiving and trying to nail down my time on it, it took me a bit to come up with a price.

I have about 70 hours labor plus materials into mine. Even at half my shop time I don't like punching that into the calculator. But the next ones can be done faster and a bit better. For one thing, if I bite the bullet and break the piggy bank for some better saws I can do a better job.

I could do them for $1250, with a couple changes that I didn't make on mine. I want an interior handle (something small) to make it easier to get a grip and slide it open when inside. I'm also going to add a notch for the padlock hasp to clear the dropboards.

saphira36

Member II
Eh, I guess it's alright...

In a world where "alright" means "Holy cow! That's some incredible friggin' woodwork!". :) Really, really good stuff sir!

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I like the inner plastic rails! My E27 hatch would be so hard to open when the mating stainless rails got moist. Good idea.

Bort

Eh, I guess it's alright...

In a world where "alright" means "Holy cow! That's some incredible friggin' woodwork!". :) Really, really good stuff sir!
Hey thanks, that means a lot to me. I'm fairly new to woodworking, my background is in working with copper. I've done a little carpentry, but this woodworking is closer to metal work than carpentry. It's still had quite a learning curve though, so I appreciate that you guys think it looks so good.

This is a picture of my normal work in copper.

IMG_1775.JPG

Bort

If you live in California, it is how you make Origo stove fuel.
Haha that's one way to put it!

Actually it's legal in the United States, it's just like a car, you have to get a license for it. Depending on the area sometimes the license is easier, sometimes there's more hoops to jump through.

You can get a free permit to make fuel, up to 10,000 gallons per year last I checked.

Beverages get more complicated, although they are getting more and more relaxed on it.

Here's a couple more I make.

A 10 gallon:

10 Gallon (Medium).png

Some Essential Oil stills.
IMGP3032.JPG

Bort

Sorry, I'm kind of getting off topic here, I'm not meaning to advertise my stills, I just thought you guys might like to see what I normally do for a living instead of wood working.