Bukh/westerbeke 20 Manual start hand crank

Brass Dragon

Member II
Pulled my engine crank out today. The crank is 19 mm diameter bar stock but if you are building one, I think you could use 3/4" diameter bar stock. I tried a 3/4 dowel into the engine and it fits, if maybe a bit snug. The cranking offset is 5.5 inches (140 mm) centerline to centerline. The bends are approx. 3/4" inside bend radius. The shear pin is approx. 5/16"d x 1-7/16" (probably 8 mm x 36 mm). The pin is located 1.5 inches from the end of the crank. I don't think these are any critical dimensions except it cant be too large a diameter for sliding into engine. Btw, TAPH20- I have a BUKH DV20 project engine in my garage if you want it. I replaced my DV20 with a DV24. Most parts are not interchangeable. Was planning to rebuild this one but gathering dust, me getting older. Seattle.Bukhcrank.jpg

TAPH2O

Member II
I will ask my daughter about the engine it’s her boat but you can never have enough boat engines.
another question a[bout some of the lengths of the straights and how is the sleeve held on.
many thanks
taph2o

Brass Dragon

Member II
I believe the crank has a groove cut into it and the thin red tube sleeve has been installed to the crank and a corresponding groove rolled into it to act as the retainer.

TAPH2O

Member II
Looks about right.
im looking into having a socket welded on to straight stock that would accept winch handle star drive that would allow me to use my Milwaukee 1/2” right angle 24volt drill with winch attachment.C4B49815-2DA2-46B0-A7D8-B9C42ABA8345.jpeg

Last edited: