• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin Sole-how best to remove old sole [Master Thread]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think Ericson flirted with glued soles in the 32-3 and others which had a TAFG molded to receive minimal thickness (3/8ths?) Teak and Holly ply. The sole lies neatly in the mold, requiring no edge treatment.

My 381, built about the same time as the 32-3s, has plywood almost 7/8th thick with dress battens at the perimeter. Both floor sections and battens are screwed down independently--and the battens are plugged.

Neither of those two floorboard systems were designed to be easily removed, which 30+ years later looks like a mistake, but was no doubt not a mistake in a boat show environment where gleaming perfection caused checks to be written.

My floorboards are original and have stood up well, but when the water tanks are all full they squeak when driving to windward through steep seas. I expect that one of the issues of sole design was squeaking, and the close tolerances of quality joinery probably make it worse.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Nothing earth shattering here but I figure the more personal accounts the better.

When I bought Aylwin four years ago, there was a large delaminated area of cabin sole around the mast which helped immensely on the final price but has kept me up at night ever since.

First line of defense was flooding the area with epoxy to stabilize which was ugly but kept people from putting a foot through but this is the winter where I finally do something.

AF0475E1-04DA-4D7D-AB2F-19181644BE92.jpeg

2A22F2F6-C57B-486B-9CC7-FFDCBF8B831B.jpeg
It’s amazing how everything below the varnish was just damp crumbs but I completed step 1a today (government employee appreciating Veterans Day).

B07A0ADF-F330-4644-AADD-642A9BBFF70B.jpeg

my first move was to attempt a template with paper translated to corrugated cardboard in case a total crumble occurred.
588B2FC1-7216-45D8-928F-E9BEBE178C1A.jpeg

then I went for it...

8B758161-6CBC-471E-8C3C-61038F4664D2.jpeg

My sole is in three sections and glued so I enjoyed all the fun that goes with that nut I did manage to keep the 95” section that I removed in one sinewy piece.
8FB412A8-B725-4097-9209-C0057B89F5E6.jpeg
The missing bit in the middle was more epoxy than wood but the remaining piece should be sufficient to use as a template with some references to the cardboard attempt.

10273BD8-959F-4FF1-9D66-C03C1EFD7FC9.jpeg

forgot to bring the shop vac so more cleanup to do. Also found a lot of bilge nastiness that needs to be removed.

I plan to make new plywood inserts (as I said, one of them was just crumbs). They were screwed and sealed and I think I will try to make them more like Christian's sections with the plywood inserts free and attached to the teak.

Next step is to practice on a cheap piece of plywood to see if I can make a decent cut and if it works, that will be my template for cutting the good stuff.

building confidence...slowly.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You'll be pleased with the outcome.

Here are a few more pictures of my replacement 32-3 sole. When I bought the boat they were nicely cut and shaped and installed--as raw plywood. Huh? Turns out that former owner balked at the price halfway through and the carpenter quit. I took them home for two coats of CPES and seven of Interlux Schooner varnish.

The carpenter used the wrong plywood for reinforcing over the TAFG gaps. His reinforcements later delaminated (upper left of first photo). I made new ones of marine ply. Pretty easy job, although the edges of the reinforcement do need to be shaped to fit the molded TAFG.

It's a real plus to be able to take a sole home every few years for refinishing.

bilge lids cabin sole.jpg...Thelonious forward bilges.JPG...Theonious bilge C.jpg

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I am about to tackle the sole of my boat next month....sheesh!

Andante in post #20 above mentioned his 35-3 was held by stainless screws only....I sure hope mine as well!! Going to use 3/4" Holly/Teak.​

clayton

Member III
(Sorry, phone fingers..) Likely 5200 as they used it for so many things. Was screwed down to the grid as well, then plugged. I was lucky enough to get the pieces out without too much damage. A long skinny pry bar with a chisel tip end and a hammer were very helpful.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, while the Olson had the sole pieces screwed down with teak plugs, EVERYthing on deck was bedded in 5200. I believe that EY (in the 80's) was buying 5200 cartridges by the gross!
:)
From recent experience, heat will soften it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
did you glue or screw (or both) the marine ply to the teak/ holly?

I attached the reinforcements to the veneer ply with epoxy. I recall some head scratching about how to position them exactly.

I laid the reinforcements in place in the TAFG, topped with two small dabs of construction adhesive, and laid the floorboard on top. When the adhesive cured enough to hold them in place, removed the floorboards, outlined position in pencil, and broke the bond. Then roughed up the surfaces, applied epoxy and clamped.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
When I replaced my cabin sole I used the old pieces as a template. It worked well, HOWEVER, I wish I had cut the large piece in half so it would be easier to handle. I have taken it up a few times since then and I would have been a lot happier.

The same goes for the aft cabin mattress foam. That would have done more good than the sole, actually. Pacific Seacraft split the cushions on their E boats.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The same goes for the aft cabin mattress foam. That would have done more good than the sole, actually. Pacific Seacraft split the cushions on their E boats.
Good Idea. I had the humongous aft cabin cushion split into two parts soon after we bought our boat.

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Mission creep continues. I was going to do just the forward delaminated section around the mast but decided to go all the way because the teak/holly pattern wasn’t going to match.
IMG_1972.jpeg
IMG_1971.jpeg

This proved incorrect when the first sheet arrived today (maybe this is the second time around for this task in my old boat) so I have been demoing and then spending a few days recovering from the hammering while squatting effect. 4F0BFEA9-8C6E-4C55-93B5-4DB94332BE34.jpeg

It’s all glue and once I started seeing what lies beneath, I feel good about the decision.

I made a pretty decent template of the forward section starting with paper, then cardboard and then 1/4” plywood which miraculously fits.

C189C0C3-18AE-4D01-A0A8-BA005695E2DF.jpegIMG_3371D.jpeg
Definitely room for refinement, but encouraging just the same. Practicing with my new router on scraps to try to be less of a threat to nice wood.

More work in progress:

IMG_3382D.jpeg

So two questions for this next chunk of work:

1) Penetrating epoxy recommendations? I only have West 105 right now. Can I thin it?
2) How the heck do I get the black menace out of the bilge in a yard with no water when it's 30 degrees outside?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As far as I know, you can thicken 105 but not thin it. In the usual ratio it goes on fine with a roller.

I prefer CPES for this application. It's very thin and gets entirely absorbed. Dunno what the price comparison is.

(I can't remember if I used it on the veneer side of the T&H plywood. Maybe not. Suggest a test with a scrap of veneer)

Either product has to be finished with varnish or paint after the cure.

As for the mess:

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
The price of what’s already in the basement versus buying another jug of something. Now that my sole will be removable, I can clean the bilge any old time.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Mission creep continues. I was going to do just the forward delaminated section around the mast but decided to go all the way because the teak/holly pattern wasn’t going to match.
Yup, should have bought that grill cover which came with the relatively new cabin sole.

CSMcKillip

ours was screwed down like Loren above, about 30 plugged screws. When we replaced our floor,..... Every new Ericson owners post..