• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin top winch replacement, what is the recommended size??

Richie 32-3

Member I
Planning on replacing two cabin top witches on my 32-3, for mainsheet and main halyard. Should I go with a #30 or # 40 winch ? I currently have a Lewmar 24- 2 speed non st for mainsheet and a Lewmar 8 non st for main halyard. Mainsheet seems undersized the main halyard is ok. Thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm pleased with my Lewmar 30ST, replacing Barient 19ST as mainsheet winch. Plenty big enough for me for that application.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I changed out my EY-installed pair of housetop winches from 30ST to the on-sale 40ST. Not really required for raising a sail, but much appreciated when winching someone up the mast.

(Sold the 'old' Lewmar pair for a quick $500. cash, too. That changes the arithmetic a lot..... used ST winches are in high demand.)

kapnkd

kapnkd
We put a pair of 2speed self tailing Harken 32’s on our cabin top. (Good pulling power for taking someone up the mast too.)

FE2879D4-7E90-45DA-9EB0-194AC51C53DC.jpegF30A134E-3608-44F9-A44F-51FA779E7238.jpeg

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I see two speed winches seem to be the common factor here. Would one speed winches just be wrong for this application?

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I can get my hands on two Barient 21 two speed. Not self tailing though. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? They are big.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I can get my hands on two Barient 21 two speed. Not self tailing though. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? They are big.
I really value our ST winches that came with our '88 boat. Another thing that had I knew how nice this feature was... would have been upgraded on our prior boat!

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I really value our ST winches that came with our '88 boat. Another thing that had I knew how nice this feature was... would have been upgraded on our prior boat!
I think ive been trying to talk myself into the opposite. For no other reason than I could get these now. But all logic tells me to wait for the right ones. This is next years project anyway.