• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Canned Bacon Site Located

Emerald

I've always had an odd love of canned corned beef hash while afloat. This looks like the next step in canned meat love :egrin:

Last edited:

Steve Swann

Member III
Hey, gimme a break guys!

Dave Hussey,

Dave, your only problem is that you need to take that pretty Ericson of yours further afield - at least across some line way out in the Pacific where green-hued powdered eggs and canned bacon remind you of home far away and taste delicious! :egrin:

I am ordering some for our upcoming cruise but I'll taste test one before we leave. I'll let you know how close to the real thing it tastes.

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The only people who don't like the taste of that stuff are those that haven't yet had enough grog.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Haha...Steve, touche'
I like to read those stories of Olde when boys were men, and ships were tall... and a chunk of hardtack and ladle of lard made a full meal....but not without a couple of pints of rum to help get it down :egrin:

Steve Swann

Member III
New Canned Bacon and Cheap Beer Cruiser

Here is a picture of our solution to "2 Foot-itis" and a step up from our Ericson 25, "Seahorse." Tawni says we are keeping Seahorse just in case we want to head to the mountains and sail on a lake and drink cheap beer. "Imagine" is a 47' aluminum pilothouse cutter. I didn't want to rebuild another boat, so this is the one we'll cruise on starting this winter. Next year it is across the Big Blue.

Attachments

• Imagine in her slip.jpg
    Imagine in her slip.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 196

Mikebat

Member III
I've always had an odd love of canned corned beef hash while afloat.

I do too. Corned Beef and eggs make a tasty breakfast at anchor. I don't eat it ashore. Isn't that weird? I also prefer it "hash"-less.

hereford1.gif

noproblemo2

Member III
Gosh, I haven't seen this brand in years, I remember K-Mart used to sell it and we always kept in on board. Thank you for the post. :egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
I just noticed that the Yoder's canned bacon is being sold for $16.28/lb.

9 oz cans, 12 cans per case, $109.95 per case. Do the math. It's priced like filet mignon!

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Mmmm "wakey, wakey eggs and bacy"......$9.16 a can!:eek:

Hey Steve, Are www.MREdepot.com 's prices semi competitive? I've never tried one and I've never looked for a source. What say you?

Awesome boat! :jawsdown: You do know what she needs though..........a nice Ericson style sheer stripe.;)

Do a photo spread on her sometime! Please.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds friendly, doesn't he

Ohhhhhhh My.... someone here has a "grave" sense of humor....
:rolleyes:

Do you have your Katana with you at all times? (Just to repel boarders, of course...)
:p

Loren

sleather

Sustaining Member

Ohhhhhhh My.... someone here has a "grave" sense of humor....
:rolleyes:

Do you have your Katana with you at all times? (Just to repel boarders, of course...)
:p

Loren

:confused: :confused: :thinker: :egrin: Awak'n, awak'n, eggs and bac'n:p, my friends wake up call for breakfast.

Katana? I can't slice and dice on a small boat..............prefer a 12ga..........better results ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Steve Swann

Member III
Hey, Available Not Cheap!

Well guys, at least someone is producing canned bacon again.

Consider this: If you buy a pound of cooked bacon at your favorite local grocery store, go home, fry it up, reweigh it, and look at what you paid for it. :rolleyes:

I'll reckon with you that this price gap with canned cooked bacon ain't quite so gappy no more! :confused:

Or, just don't buy any and eat cold cereal instead... :p

Emerald

Well guys, at least someone is producing canned bacon again.

Consider this: If you buy a pound of cooked bacon at your favorite local grocery store, go home, fry it up, reweigh it, and look at what you paid for it. :rolleyes:

I'll reckon with you that this price gap with canned cooked bacon ain't quite so gappy no more! :confused:

Or, just don't buy any and eat cold cereal instead... :p

Think you're right - it looks like a decent amount of bacon goes into a can:

"Each can is 9 ounces of fully cooked and drained bacon. Between 2-3/4 and 3-1/4 pounds of raw bacon go into each can. Each can is the highest quality fresh #1 bacon slices. Cured to our specifications, cooked and then hand wrapped, rolled and packed in the U.S."

from here:

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-461/Yoder’s-Celebrity-Canned-Bacon/Detail

Cold cereal ain't bad, but I'll go for reheated pig if I can

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
At $9 for 3 pounds of bacon, those prices are actually better than what I pay at the grocery store for fresh bacon! Actually, with the equivalent of 3 pounds of bacon in every can, the concern that comes to mind is, how am I going to eat all that?? I usually take a couple mornings to get through a single pound.

I've never before heard of this innovation, and I thank you, gentlemen, for bringing it to my attention. Now I just have to convince my wife why we need $110 worth of bacon. :egrin: