• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Canvas Snap Fasteners

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Anyone familiar with this type of canvas snap? My dodger uses several of these, and several that are the traditional "screw-in" type. This looks more like a rivet, but I don't know how that would work in wood-cored decking. Are these any more leak-prone than the screw-in ones? How do I remove them?

Snap Fasteners.jpg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Those almost look like they ran out of screw-down studs, and secured a crimp-stud with a pop-rivet. Or something

snaps.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Like any deck penetration, the holes made DO need to be well sealed to protect the coring.
I have found, over time, that it pays to reseal all of these (and screw fastened are the only kind that I have seen) shortly after the canvas person finished their work and the boat is back at its dock.
The pop rivet would be a terrible idea for that use, IMO.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
New one on me. Do they work?

If so, maybe that's so as not to have a protrusion on the nonskid. Footsie stuff?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Do they work?
Most of them are tight and holding well, but there is no way to tighten the loose ones. The snap still protrudes the normal amount. It's just the fastener that differs.

I suppose I'll have to drill the heads off, like a rivet, but not sure if the mushroomed rivet body will require further excavation.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I suppose I'll have to drill the heads off, like a rivet,

If they're loose, they're going to be a headache to drill out. They'll probably just spin.

Any way to get to the shafts from the underside? If yes, cutting them off from below (like, with a dremel cutting wheel) will likely be less frustrating.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
If they're loose, they're going to be a headache to drill out. They'll probably just spin.
Yeah, probably so. Haven't tried at all to remove one yet so I don't know if I can lift them up enough to get to the shaft below.

Guess I'll head out with a drill, vise-grips, a dremel and a pry bar to see how it goes.