• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Car Seats in the Cockpit

ragamuffin

Member II
Shot this today sailing.

This is not an Ericson but I thought it was totally crazy from a design stand point. But hey his crew will be comfy!

Attachments

• intention2.jpg
    intention2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 519

SurabyaKid

Member III
I wonder if they recline? Or have headrest speakers and heaters? :egrin:

Jokes aside...maybe for handicapped sailors?

Pat

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
Based on the USCG Documentation DB and Cook County records, she hails out of Chicago and is a 1975 36' Aluminum hulled Palmer-Johnson registered to a private individual. The original boat name was "Love Machine 2"....maybe thats the reason for the back seats?

Pat

ragamuffin

Member II
Based on the USCG Documentation DB and Cook County records, she hails out of Chicago and is a 1975 36' Aluminum hulled Palmer-Johnson registered to a private individual. The original boat name was "Love Machine 2"....maybe thats the reason for the back seats?

Pat
Good info I wondered who designed the boat. The boat is moored in Chicago's Monroe Harbor near my boat I see it all the time. FYI Seat's were added recently this year.

Roger

Member II
Looks like this was the boat in its original incarnation. This is a famous photo from the 1976 Miami-Nassau race, which had particularly nasty conditions. It's an Yves-Marie Tanton design.
-Roger

www.rbrown-navalarchitect.com

Attachments

• Love Machine.jpg
    Love Machine.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:

ragamuffin

Member II
Looks like this was the boat in its original incarnation. This is a famous photo from the 1976 Miami-Nassau race, which had particularly nasty conditions. It's an Yves-Marie Tanton design.
-Roger

www.rbrown-navalarchitect.com

Good find Roger it is indeed the same boat Sail Numbers Match!

Attachments

• tanton.jpg
    tanton.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 283

SurabyaKid

Member III

I'll say.....

Pat

Attachments

• 744wave2.jpg
    744wave2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 302

Guy Stevens

I can make a good guess at the seat reason

Those of us with really nicely designed cockpits look at this and wonder why would you do this... Well because you don't have a really nicely designed cockpit.

This is a typical all out racer cockpit without back rests. If you have sailed for more than a race in one of these, you know that it is incredibly hard on the back. Uncomfortable fails to describe sitting on a moving ledge without any support for hours on end.

Since the boat does not look like a race only boat anymore, he elected to do something to make it so that the boat was usable.

A novel if somewhat ugly solution.. However solutions for the design problem of a very uncomfortable boat like this are rarely good looking, or functional. At least he went for functional and ugly instead of non functional and ugly.

Guy
:)