• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Catalina for the Weekend

Peregrine

Member II
Peregrine Spirit and crew will be going to Catalina for the weekend. We plan to depart SD Thursday evening and will try to get into Two Harbors on Friday. Suspect we will have a hard time getting a mooring since there is going to be a Baja HaHa rendezvous and an H&S Yachts function there. Any recommendations on going into Cat Harbor? Should we try Two Harbors first, and then look for a mooring further north from Two Harbors that is in dinghy distance? Or should we just head straight to Cat Harbor from SD? How far is it to Cat Harbor from Two Harbors is we decide to go around to the north? Any advice would be welcome.

Also, any other Ericsons going this weekend?

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E-380 #16

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I would head straight for Cat Harbor.

I don't have a chart handy, so I can't tell you how far it is to sail from Isthmus cove, around the West end, to Cat Harbor.

However, sailing from San Pedro and heading directly to the West end and around to Cat Harbor takes about two hours longer than sailing directly to Isthmus Cove. Is that helpful?

I like Cat Harbor, and I like the rugged scenery of the West end and backside. However, the underwater visibility inside the harbor is measured in single digit numbers, instead of the triple digits you get on the front side. So, if you wanna snorkle or kayak and see the critters, you'll be better off on the front side.

I was at Cat Harbor a couple weeks ago, and fish were jumping all around the boat, day and night. The kids caught baracuda and calico bass using plastic lures dangling over the side while tied to the mooring.

Peregrine

Member II
Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to go up the east side and look for a spot, since my crew will want to swim. I work my way around to Cat Harbor if there is nothing convenient available on the east side. You kind of confirmed what I thought about taking 2-3 hours to get to Cat Harbor going north around the island. I will walk the dividers around the island on the chart after I get underway tonight to check the distance.

Tony

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I just did the caliper walk, and it's 13-13.5 nm from Isthmus cove to Cat Harbor by boat. Half a mile on foot.

The westbound leg along the NE side will put the wind on your nose. No fun. I hope you'll find a mooring on the mainland side. Since I won't be there, there's one fewer in competition for a spot.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I spent a week at Catalina a couple of weeks ago. I went to Cat Harbor first (Sunday) and anchored in front of all the moorings, for free of course, in 5.5 feet of water (I only draw 4 feet with my e-27). It was like a Mill Pond and a short row to the dinghy dock. So I spent one night there and then went to Little Harbor (Monday) and anchored (two anchors) in 8 feet of water. Beautiful place. They were actually surfing at Shark Harbor right next door to Little Harbor. After a beautiful night at Little Harbor I sailed back around to Two Harbors (Tuesday) and spent a night there before going down to Avalon (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) for my last three nights. Got a can right in front of the Catalina Yacht Club. Couldn't believe my luck. Sailed back to San Pedro on Saturday.

If you cant get a can at Two Harbors on Friday try Howlings Landing or Emerald Cove. They are right next to each other and it's about a half hour dinghy ride (with outboard of course) to the town of Two Harbors. I really recommend Cat Harbor though, the best night's sleep I have ever had at anchor and it didn't cost me a cent. Little Harbor was nice but a little rough. I dreamt of driving dune buggies over sand dunes all night. I wonder why?

Always best to try to get to the Island before Friday this time of year if you want to get a mooring. Anchoring at Cat Harbor is the best place to shoot for when going on a Friday or Saturday.

Skipper Jeff

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Some photos of my week at the Island

Some photos of my week at the Island.:egrin:

First one's Cat Harbor, Second Little Harbor, Third, Avalon.

Attachments

• CatHarbor.jpg
    CatHarbor.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 91
  • LittleHarbor.jpg
    LittleHarbor.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 83
  • CYC.jpg
    CYC.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Peregrine

Member II
Two Harbors Wrap-up

We got underway from San Diego with another boat about 1800 on Thursday and arrived Isthmus Harbor about 0900 on Friday after a nice night of motoring. There were no problems getting a mooring and we had a great time there basically relaxing, people watching ashore, and dinghy watching from the boat. I am always amazed at the number of people who travel with dogs on boats. To my way of thinking the three most worthless things you can have on a sailboat are a cow, a dog, and a Navy line officer. (This being said by a retired Navy Captain.)

We went to the Baja HaHa potluck Saturday evening and got underway at midnight under clear skies hoping to have a nice meteor show on the way back to SD. We did see a few meteors, but just as they were starting to heat up, we ran into the marine layer just south of the island.

As the breeze started to fill in, we put up the A-sail and had a great ride to SD.

It was a great weekend and makes me wish I were a little closer to Catalina so that I could go more often like you guys from further north.

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E-380 #16