• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Catalina Island Lockdown

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
There is a thread on SBO discussing the current situation over at Catalina Island as far as being allowed to stay on moorings as well as go ashore. There was some misinformation in that thread which I was able to correct based on a text message I received last night from a close friend who is one of the supervisors at the Avalon Harbor Patrol.

Without repeating the entire thread (which you can read), the gist of it is this: Two Harbors/the West End is essentially shut down altogether. This includes not only going ashore but also for mooring rentals. The SBO thread gives the text of a FB post from the Two Harbors FaceBook page. (I'm not on FB myself so someone kindly reproduced it.) However, this is not true for Avalon--as of last night, at least. Although everything is closed up in Avalon except for essential businesses (e.g., the Vons, Leo's Drug Store, etc.), moorings CAN still be rented. However, the City and the Chamber of Commerce are are discouraging visitors. This, as with everything else in this current distress, is subject to change. It will be interesting to see if Avalon follows Two Harbors and stops mooring rentals.

Several days ago I had thought about getting in some sailing and figured I might sail over to the Island, pick up a mooring for the night, and then sail back the next day. I figured I'd not even go ashore. But I nixed that idea for several reasons: weather, things I needed to do at home, etc. Although I suppose I could still do that in Avalon (as of right now, anyway), I think I'll just stick closer to home and get in some day sails.

By the way: here is the page from the Catalina Chamber of Commerce website specifically detailing coronavirus-related matters.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Update: Earlier this morning I got a text from my harbor patrol friend who said that last night (3/25) the Avalon City Council closed Avalon Harbor to all "transient boaters" (visitors). So what was already the case at Two Harbors is now true of Avalon.