• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

CDI Furling System - from 1983 E35-3 (plus spare drum/hardware)

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I have for sale a CDI furling system off of my E35-3. I also have the forestay and hardware if needed. Included would be all extrusions, all extrusion connectors (all straight), all bearings (good shape and clean), top halyard turning block system, as well as 2 drums and bottom castings. Additionally I have 2 sets of tensioning blocks (these were frequently removed and the tack of the sail itself was typically used as a block to achieve halyard tension). I am selling due to switching to a Harken system (ball bearing, swivel, uses actual halyard, etc).
I could look into shipping but would prefer local pick-up. Extrusions are 7' long and would be expensive to ship.
I'm located in SE Michigan.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
What model and size harken unit did you end up going with?
I ended up with a Mk I, Unit 1. It was a take-off from a boat some friends were parting out (a Carter 33 that had been sitting on-the-hard at a boat-yard un-touched for decades). After investigating the other Harken units, they appear to just adopt more and more plastic parts as time goes on. The Mk 1s are very stout units, fully ball-bearing and all parts are still available (foils, balls, foil connectors, foil cap, plastic lock cylinder, etc) so long as you find a unit with SCREW-ON Foils. Apparently the earliest units used some rivet-on foils that are very difficult to remove and parts are no longer available for.
One season on the boat and we love it so far. I wanted to at least get a shake-down season in before selling the CDI, which has served us well for many, many, many years (37 to be exact!). This Harken just sort of landed in our lap, so we jumped on it. Also got a nice like-new Navtec Series 8 Backstay adjuster out of the deal. :egrin: Speaking of which, I have a series 7 with correct length backstay (you'd need to only make a short pendant from your existing backstay) if you're interested.