• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chain Plate Inspection

view29

Before I jump in and do something I'll regret..... I'm looking to inspect the chainplates broadly speaking, but more specifically on the starboard side. I had a leak through the starboard port light slider (head), it was leaking long enough that I want to check the chainplate and the structure on that side and see if there's rust etc. (water was coming down into the main cabin through that leak).

Of course I could take it to a boat builder etc, but the bigger question is regarding learning to understand and inspect the structure on ones own boat. In theory, I want to reach a point where I understand my own boat inside and out. So if anyone has experience / advice on inspecting the structure I'll soak that up.

Cheers
Sean

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It is not possible to inspect the chain plates of the E29, since they are embedded in the hull. People replace them with external chainplates when they chicken out. There are a number of threads and blogs about this.

Sailingfun

Member III
Replace or not replace the chainplate was a very difficult decision on my E27. The embedded chainplate thing does not have any vote from my side but in the end, there are few cases of chainplate fail and I prefer not "go there" for now.
But it's on my list... a shortlist... Another Ericson owner on my marina just replaced and install externally. Labor work was a couple of long days and looks very nice at the end! Not impossible with the right tools and help.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
In my opinion, It looks horrible and with my previous boat (73' E27) replacing the chain plates with externals would be only occur after they failed and only after considering replacing the boat. I owned the boat from 2002-2020 without an incident. You can inspect what's visible and keep out the leaks.