• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chain Plate Leak - Ericson 30+

bill911s

I just bought a 30+ and the surveyor located one area around the pump out deck plate/port stanchon bases that had some moisture. I wondered if anyone done any repair/rebedding on a 30+ in this particular area and had any hints before I start the work next week. I will need to remove the deck fill and also the chain plate cover pieces. I already have a good article on re- bedding from Crusing World but never have done this type of repair before!

Also, the previous owner said the ice box drains overboard, but I noticed that when the ice melted, all of a sudden the bilge was full of water! Has anyone put in refrigeration in this model? I think the ice box is about 6 cu.ft.

Thanks for any help.

bill911s

bigtyme805

Member III
Rebedding should not be an issue. Is the deck soft at the location of the deck fill? Hopefully it is not. That deck fill should be for the pumpout of the head if I am not mistaken.

The icebox normally drains into bilge at least it does on mine. This was the design on my 1985 30+. I think the surveyor was wrong, especially since your bilge filled up.

I thought about purchasing refrigeration for my icebox but I went with an engel fridge/freezer portable unit that I placed in my port side locker in the cockpit. It can be used as 12v or 110 and draws very little amps. Captain Woody from Latitude and Attitude Magazine used it on his circumnavigation on his 30ft Catalina and worked great for him for 3 years.

The 30+ has so little galley space it allows me to store lots of provisions in the icebox and use the fridge in the port side locker for my cold stuff. Plus when on daysails I dont have far to grab a beer from the helm.

Glyn Judson

Chainplates, deck fills and refrigeration.

Bill, 1. You might want to try cutting a 45 degree chamfer around all four sides of your chainplates by using a tapered stone on a Dremel. Clean the area of debris and glass dust with acetone including the sides of the chainplate. Use 3M 101, either white or black to fill the area before lightly pressing the cover plates down. Don't press them totally home but let the 101 cure for a day and come back to finish seating the covers. Remember to bed the screws too. 2. Remove the hose clamp fron the deck fill hose, remove the three(?) screws from the plate into the deck from above and pull the fill and hose right out. Inspect, rebed and/or remove the hose for closer inspection. 3. Refrigeration is up to you. I don't know the layout of the 30+ well enough to suggest where a compressor might well be placed but installing a system is pretty straight forward. I thought having a cold beer close to the helm was something from the past. Are there actually boaters who not only drink while sailing but admit to it? What has to happen for us all to wake up to the fact that too much can happen on the water for any skipper to be impared. Let's think that one over again OK? It's just as manly to reach for a can of soda as a can of beer and your buddies won't think any less of you, probably more. Reaching for a beer at the helm ain't funny anymore guys, it's kind of sad, selfish, illegal and puts others at risk without their having a vote! Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

sleather

Sustaining Member
Old School

I thought having a cold beer close to the helm was something from the past. Are there actually boaters who not only drink while sailing but admit to it? What has to happen for us all to wake up to the fact that too much can happen on the water for any skipper to be impaired. Let's think that one over again OK? It's just as manly to reach for a can of soda as a can of beer and your buddies won't think any less of you, probably more. Reaching for a beer at the helm ain't funny anymore guys, it's kind of sad, selfish, illegal and puts others at risk without their having a vote!

Glyn, Eliquently put, being a "past offender", I concur! Perhaps this deserves it's own platform! I'll take that "iced TEA" now, thanks!

What Glyn said about the repair was "right on"

bigtyme805

Member III
Never really looked at it this way considering I drink maybe 6 beers a year and weigh 275lbs (former football player). I guess so many people have drinking problems now a days it's hard for them to drink just 1 cold one.

Safety of the crew and others around you are the most important thing.

What has the world come to?

Steve I noticed you were from Madison. I remember when I was recruited from Wisconsin the reason I didn't sign was because my recruiting trip was all about how many beer bongs you could drink in a row then surf on the hood of a moving car. OOps did I say I didn't take the scholarship.

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
I don't know when that was, similar traditions are "alive & well"???
It's NEVER changed!!! Beer & Sailing are "synonymous"!

It's a "reputation" the U.W. can't seem to shake!!!------ Back to the 30+!!!!

Last edited: