• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

change propeller on Ericson 38. 200

Saverio

Member III
Hello to all of you, I would like to change propeller on Ericson 38. 200. Put a three-blade or a foldable one, has anyone done this?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a Michigan Sailor 3-blade prop on my 381. It is powerful forward and reverse, with lots of prop walk in reverse.

Drag is the only drawback of a fixed 3-blade. They work best, but definitely slow you down when sailing in light air.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm new to owning an inboard single screw, so this may be a dumb question, but I've always wondered. Isn't prop walk a good thing? How do you maneuver in tight spots when you don't have enough water flowing over the rudder to steer without the help of walk and wash?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Prop walk is a predictable sideways force when in reverse. It can be useful when anticipated, but it pushes the stern to one side whether you like it or not, and can be a problem in tight spaces. Different props "walk" differently, and rotation determines the vector of the pull. Physics from wiki:

Propeller walk is caused by the water, moved by the propeller in an axial direction and in a rotation. The water, coming from the propeller, gets a cone shape, widening when it leaves the propeller. If the rotating water cone contacts the ship's hull, a sideways force is generated. Propeller walk is hardly noticeable when sailing forward, since the propeller water will not hit a large surface of the ship's hull and corrections to the ship's course can easily be made with the rudder. When in reverse gear, the water will hit the hull directly, resulting in propeller walk.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author

Ecco un altro thread su un cambio di elica. Potrebbe essere necessario ottenere un albero di trasmissione diverso.

Ho un'elica a due pale sulla mia barca. Penso che anche tu abbia bisogno del giusto equilibrio con la potenza del tuo motore.