Chesapeake Ericson club

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
No problem. I spent a LOT of time at various UL labs when doing the 787 battery investigation. Batteries and solar panels are hand and glove in so many things that there was a lot of cross learning, plus I put a small set-up on a truck camper and had ALL the real experts to hound with my questions. Let me know if you have any more.

mjsouleman

Member III
Well, the weather is a killer this weekend and the wind forecast is weak. Why do you care?

Well I had plans of sailing 50 miles up stream to Worton's creek Friday night into Saturday morning and then back down Sunday.

I like you guys a bunch, but to be honest your just not worth the heat stroke from a snail cruise up bay.

Don/Bob, I will make it up to visit you two it is just going to be postponed another weekend.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Big Krazy

Well I,m ready for another weekend on the Rappahannock. Gonna be stormy and light winds at times. During the Zoom meeting one participant mentioned seeing some batteries I might be interested in around Deltaville and sent a zoom chat about it. I tried to send my email contact but not sure it made it through the zoom chat. If anyone recalls who that was please let me know.

Navman

Member III
Mark,
No problem, totally understand. They have excessive heat warnings throughout the upper bay area for the weekend. Linda and I are going down early Saturday morning so we can motor (no wind) up to Still Pond ( 1 hour) where we will inflate the floaties and spend the day seeing who can get more wrinkly skin from water immersion. I will also take the opportunity to scrape and brush the bottom and the waterline. Only aquatic or sub aquatic work this weekend!!! _/) _/)

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
Well I,m ready for another weekend on the Rappahannock. Gonna be stormy and light winds at times. During the Zoom meeting one participant mentioned seeing some batteries I might be interested in around Deltaville and sent a zoom chat about it. I tried to send my email contact but not sure it made it through the zoom chat. If anyone recalls who that was please let me know.
The batteries were on Sailboat Swap Shop Facebook site. Unfortunately the listing says SOLD.

Steve

mjsouleman

Member III
Anyone have a Loos Tension Gauge? I need to tune my standing rigging and the cost is not bad.
Found one on Craigs list for $85. New about $130

Mark "Souleman" Soule

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Mark,

I have a like new Loos Professional PT-3 in the box with instructions. Covers 9/32 - 3/8 cable sizes. Came with my boat. Never used it. E36 RH has rod rigging. Any new boat I get will be much smaller (or power!). Lists for $380, sells for ~$250. I’ll sell it for $150 or you can borrow it for free.
Mark

mjsouleman

Member III
Hi Mark Thanks I was able to borrow one from a local rigger I provide beer to :D

I hope to one day get a look at that E36 RH

Mark "Souleman" Soule

mjsouleman

Member III
Making last minute plans for a weekend motor sail on the bay.
first thoughts are to motor from Herrington Harbor to Worton Creek.

However, if anyone is south of Herrington Harbor a motor to the Potomac is within reach also.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Navman

Member III
Motor sail is right. Dead air weekend. I will be at Worton Creek tomorrow through Sunday. Dont know if I am staying on the ball at Green Point Landing where I keep The Optimist II or going out to Worton beach to drop anchor and catch a little wind in the scoop while I do some minor tasks and chill out. I think you have my phone number or you can hail me on the VHF. Keep an eye out for the dolphin pods when you get between Love Point and Sand Shoal Point lighthouse. I saw some on my way up a few weeks ago. Pretty neat to say the least.

mjsouleman

Member III
I will "motor" up and give a shout out when I get near.

I saw a pod the last two weeks also.

see you tomorrow.

Mark

mjsouleman

Member III
Hi Don,
I arrived at 5:30 (1730) Saturday evening. Checked out the beach and decided to find someplace quieter. Ended up across from the red maker in the inlet just before the marina. I hailed Optimist a couple of times and decided you were off to supper, like most normal people.

Had a quiet night. Up at 0500, me and the crabbers - you told me to watch out for dolphin pods, the only pods I saw were crab pot pods, man coming in was a challenge.

Any, sitting at home now drinking lots of water and recovering from the heat and no wind. At least I saw the Annapolis sailing club .

Sorry I missed you, next trip to south to visit our southern members.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

mjsouleman

Member III
I am planning another sailing weekend.

This time I am heading South at least as far as the Rappahannock.

Would like to schedule beer stops with members near Solomons, Potomac, and or Rappahannock. Anyone game?

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Navman

Member III
I missed you Mark! I motored down to Swan Point just north of Rock Hall hoping to intercept you. I didn't see you so you must have still been bel0w the bridge. So Hot that I went home around 2:30 PM. Too bad for me because at home on Sunday the wind was really nice and I was wishing I had stayed. How was your sail home?

mjsouleman

Member III
My sail home is what I have come to expect from the evil winds. South - South/West, right where I was headed. I threw the sails up about Tolchester and headed just off Poole's Island. Got mid-bay and found a good angle to head down wind. Got as far as RockHall and tacked a second time over toward Magothy river. At that point is was motor until I was off Severn River where the Annapolis sailing club were doing a session.
From there is was 4 knots until I got past Shady Side where the wind picked up enough to throw a sail. In the end, Herrington Harbor was wind on the nose.

In the end, the heat got to me and I had to have two beers and air conditioning to cool off.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mark, a couple we know cruised for two years, down to Central America and back to Oregon. When friends asked them about the sailing and usual wind direction...
they described the winds as .... "Noserlies"....
:)