Chesapeake Ericson club

mjsouleman

Member III
There has to be at least one member near Solomons, Potomac, and or Rappahannock that I can visit.

If you don't speak up, I'm going to go north and bother Grandpa Steve in Rock Hall

Mark "Souleman" Soule

mjsouleman

Member III
No one likes me! That's ok, sailed to the Chaptank and back the Herrington Harbor while rooting around the water lines on Discovery.
I'm looking to add two filers (charcoal and u.2 micron) for taste and buggies.

I need some assistance here.
I am planning a sail up to Tiverton, Rhode Island.
I would prefer to coastal sail and gunkhole when and where the weather turns.
Any and all advice is welcome

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Slick470

Member III
Mark, I'm sure it isn't that no one likes you, It's just really hot out and humid out there.

I spent a couple hours at the marina yesterday checking over the boat in case this tropical storm causes any problems for us. Adjusted dock lines and fenders, and took down the sails.

mjsouleman

Member III
Hi Andy,

At least I got someones attention :)

Your correct, it was hot in Deale. I went out for an early Sunday morning run off the radar station. Great winds and a lot of sails.

Sunday morning people were thinking this would be a rain event, Monday morning it looks like a wind event.

we have got to get you signed up for the August Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club virtual meeting

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Slick470

Member III
Agree that I need to get on the next club call. I intended to hop on the last one, but life got in the way.

Still watching the storm, but hopefully the time over land will slow the wind down a bit more. Seems like it will be moving north pretty quickly by then so rain might not be too bad. Still good to get the prep in, just in case. Our slip is really sheltered which is great for storms and docking, but makes it pretty miserable on hot sticky days.

Slick470

Member III
Mark, we're over at Town Point. Same side of the creek as HHN, tucked in the corner between HHN and the breakwater. A few minutes by water but it's a bit of a meandering drive along backroads to get there.

This year has been such a mess that we're sadly not there very often. I had planned on racing every Wednesday with HHSA, but with little kids at home and full time jobs, we're in survival mode with limited bandwidth for much else.

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
Sailed 3 days on the northern Chesapeake (Thur-Sat) - Still Pond, Worton Creek and home to Bodkin (spotted another Ericson near Fairlee/Pooles Island on Thurs but couldn't hail them or see the name on the boat - looked like an E-38 with blue cove, burgundy canvas and a large American flag off the backstay).

Sailing was OK and temps weren't too bad. Thanks to Navman for info on getting into Worton Creek, only hit bottom once at Green-3. Experienced the other reason July/Aug sailing in the Chesapeake is iffy - an evening thunderstorm with 40+ knot winds, lightning crashing all around the boat and torrential rains. Pretty wild ride but the Mantus anchor held in the Worton Creek mud, fun hoisting it in the AM. Sailed back going 3-5 knots in moderate rain, actually fairly pleasant and had most of the bay to myself. Snugged down for TS Isaias. 4th solar panel seemed to do the trick for charging the 48v motor bank, 3 days of travel with no generator and arrived back at the dock with 95% charge. Here's hoping for a safe ride through Isaias! Hope to be back on the water Thursday for a trip to Wye River.

mjsouleman

Member III
gc-sailor,

I had stated in an earlier post that it is my intention to meet as many Club members on the water this summer as possible. I may not be meeting members but I am visiting their Ericsons. :)

Right around the corner from you is Magothy River and another Ericson owner. Assuming I split the difference that's about 25 miles from Herrington Harbor. It might be another run this weekend if anyone is available.

Another thought, if your headed for the Wye River it is basically the same 25 miles from Herrington Harbor and I could easily meet you there.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
No wind and thunderstorms delayed my trip. Hope to be on the water Sunday - Tues in northern waters again. Will meet up some time soon. ss

mjsouleman

Member III
gc-sailor,

Summer is still young and hopes are still high to meet club members on the water.
With little wind this morning, it's a run southward to Solomons, most likely motor sail.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

mjsouleman

Member III
Hi Bob,
That E-38 is in Solomans at Spring Cove. I contacted the seller and will be sailing down that way this weekend if the weather holds.

Hope to meet club members in the area for a beer and talk if they are available.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Edited!

This thread is 15 pages long which is pretty long.... So, I am going to create a sub-forum for you guys so you can split out your discussions and have a place for all your stuff.

Please contact me via the Contact Us page below if you are interested in becoming a Moderator for this sub-forum.

//sse

Last edited:

mjsouleman

Member III
Thank you Sean for setting this sub folder. I guess it is true, once club members start talking about our boats, there is just no stopping us.

Club news - I can't believe it is already mid-August and we haven't scheduled a virtual meeting!

PROPOSAL - I propose the August virtual meeting be scheduled for August 22nd at noon.

CRITERIA - Meeting will be scheduled if 4 members say Yea, Meeting will be postponed if less than 4 members say Yea.

Now it is time to cast your vote - virtual meeting or postpone till September.

Mark "Souleman" Soule