• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Clean, buff? wax? black anodized spar

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi all, looking at finally wrapping up my yard stay and want to do something to snazz up my black Kenyon spar while it's on the ground. I see in bgary's blog that he used a "spar seal" product but I'm wondering if there are any other products or processes I can use to get the spar shiny again.

I procured a buffer but then read that you don't want to do anything abrasive to an anodized spar. So, clean and wax?

Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I understand that unless you specifically have aluminum "hard coat anodized" you should not do anything to polish or abraid regular anodized surfaces -- the coating is relatively soft.
I would stick with cleaning and waxing, just to be safe.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I understand that unless you specifically have aluminum "hard coat anodized" you should not do anything to polish or abraid regular anodized surfaces -- the coating is relatively soft.
I would stick with cleaning and waxing, just to be safe.
That is the correct answer! Some time back I attempted to try power buffing to get that "shine".....needless to say, the small area I experimented with on my black mast looked like crap; I had to rattle can it with mat black high temp BBQ paint and it ain't the same.

Use your power buffer with a good synthetic car wax on the hull, not your black Kenyon spar. Just clean your black spar with very mild dawn/water solution, if that. Experiment in a very small area with synthetic wax using a soft worn out undershirt or old cloth diaper to very lightly hand buff. Just make sure your soft wiping cloth has never been around fine metal particles or wiped up sanding dust.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I guess that's a question - anyone know if the black spars are actually anodized or if it's paint? I'm doing some forum archaeology myself to see what the consensus is..

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The mast on our E30+ was painted with a two part navy blue paint by a pervious owner about 20 years ago, and still looks great. It's probably alot of work to prep the mast, but I get lots of positive comments on it, and love the unique look.
Frank

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Seems like I've read the paint-vs-anodized question before, but I don't remember a definitive answer.

I think it's paint. My anecdotal evidence:

1. I have a black-anodized sliding cleat on my genoa car track. The way it weathers is nothing like the mast. The anodization on the cleat turns rough and grayish as it weathers.

2. I had many scratches on my mast that went to bare aluminum. The scratches resemble paint being scraped off. Also, it repaints well (I used zinc chromate primer under Rustoleum enamel). I don't think the paint match would be as good with paint over anodization (can you paint over anodization?).

20200810_174031.jpg 20200803_152434.jpg 20200810_174025.jpg

3. When I removed my boom vang plate from the mast, it had flakes of what looks like paint & primer stuck to the back of it:

20200721_180948.jpg

4. Some Ericson spars are white. I there such a thing as white anodization?

Let the debate rage on.........

1911tex

Sustaining Member

I acknowledge this is a commercial; however, it may help enlighten the subject. I believe our spars are baked-on paint. Scratches to metal and much easier/cheaper to touch up. Just an unprofessional opinion.

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Ken where did you get the blue skirt at the deck base of your mast? Looks great + practical....and kinda, er, "cute"!...in a good way.

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Ken where did you get the blue skirt at the deck base of your mast? Looks great + practical....and kinda, er, "cute"!...in a good way.

Actually, I've always had a thing for cute, short, blue skirts. Unlike most of my experiences, this one was inexpensive, easily obtained, low-maintenance and long-lasting.....

It's home-made, from an old scrap of Sunbrella. A piece of para-cord is sewn into the top to tie it off around the mast.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I went through this with the 32-3. It had a Kenyon mast anodized black (I believe all white Kenyon masts are painted, and so are some black ones) . Wax doesn't work on old anodized spars.

At the time, Ballenger Spars was selling a special polish specifically for anodized spars. You had to call Ballenger on the phone and ask about it, it wasn't on the Website.