• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cleaning up a filthy engine...

JEESails

Member I
I've had my E38 a few months now... and its my first boat (rookie!):egrin:
I've been utilizing the wet, nasty weather we've been having to learn all kinds of things about boat maintenance! I spent most of the day today working on cleaning up the engine (Universal 5432) which is filthy with oil, grease and some corrosion and rust (runs like a top though...) Has anyone got any "tricks" to get things clean and remove all the corrosion - especially in those hard to get to spots. I didn't seem to make a dent with my can of corrosionX, wire brushes, rags, etc... I've been told to try break free. Is that a good idea? thanks! John

Attachments

• IMG00039.jpg
    IMG00039.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 62

chaco

Member III
Liquid Film..that's the Ticket

We use Liquid Film rust removal / lubricant to clean up those rusty-corroded
parts all over the boat. Works great on stainless rigging too :nerd:
Check it out on www.fluidfilmsalesusa.com

Keep your Powder Dry :egrin: :egrin:

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The 5432 on my E38 has some corrosion on it as well. Mostly the oil pan area and other parts you really can't reach too well. Since its all cast iron I'm not too concerned about the rust eating all the way through anything. I do however coat the engine regularly with WD40. It loosens crud over time and keeps the corrosion from getting any worse. I wipe down the areas I can reach and then recoat everything about once a month during the season. The effect is its a little cleaner each time. RT

JEESails

Member I
Thanks for the suggestions!

Given your comments, Rob, and doing some additional reading, I'm probably being a bit over concerned about it... I think I'll take care of what I can reach, coat everything periodically with CorrosionX and as long as everything continues to work well, not worry too much about it.

FYI - I found CorrosionX at the Seattle boat show last weekend. Pretty cool stuff. Lubricant, penetrant, anti-corrosive, Non toxic, non carcinogenic, non-flammable, etc. http://www.corrosionxproducts.com
Thanks again!
John

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am quite familiar with CorrosionX! I used to race RC model gasoline powered boats. Frequently the receiver/electronics would get wet and cease to function. Pretreating with CorrosionX would prevent any problems and even would bring dead equipment back to life. Recently Practical Sailor tested a bunch of products and found that CorrosionX works okay but not as good as other product with salt water. My experience was always with fresh water. I also like to shoot CorrosionX into any and all crimp type connections after I have made them. Figure it will penetrate into the end of each wire under the insulation and hold off the dreaded "black wire" syndrome that much longer. Either way, WD40 is cheap and allows my to spray everything regularly without issue. RT

hinters

Member I
This may sound crazy but try a 2 litre bottle of pepsi...
soak the area for a while using soaked rags etc and watch
the grease and rust disolve. Flush with fresh water dry it and paint it.

Howard Keiper

Sounds like a trip to Costco is in order.
Get a package of the blue paper shop towels and a gallon of 'Oil Eater'. Use both liberally; and a few small, steel, wire detail brushes from Harbor Freight or the like.
BTW, spraying oil or dirt stained jeans and shirts and the like with Oil Eater before throwing in the washer is a genuine revelation...even previously washed stuff. The towels are marvelous in their own right...not to mention they're disposable.

I think WD-40 is pretty much worthless for this sort of work, but it does smell good and makes you feel better for having used it.

Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

hinters

Member I
Seriously, should that be Diet Pepsi so you don't have any sticky sugar residue to deal with?

:devil:
Forget that low cal stuff....go for the gusto!
Sounds like drinking lite beer...its like kissing your sister...there's just no point to it!~

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I think WD-40 is pretty much worthless for this sort of work, but it does smell good and makes you feel better for having used it.

Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

WD40 is worthless for preventing corrosion? Please explain? Yes, there are more aggressive/long lasting products but it seems to do a decent job as long as it is renewed.... Never had issue with the stuff and its cheap too. RT