• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Clipping fenders to stanchions

Teranodon

Member III
They say you should not hang fenders from lifelines, but how to attach them to the stanchions? After a long search, I found some spring loaded clips that open up just over one inch, making it a snap to put the fenders on or off, with one hand. They are sold by US Cargo Control, item SCLIPEYE4625.

Fender clip.jpg

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I was taught in my ASA class two wraps on the stanchion, then two half-hitches.

It's not as quick as your carabiners, but not clanky either.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Cool, but clove hitch still works well for me. Although I’ve noticed that it’s time to replace some of the ropes this spring. (And one or two of the dock lines took a beating over the winter. Preventable chafe.) I’ve about come to the end of the coil of nylon three-strand that came with the boat - that still what everyone is using to hang fenders? I think I’d better whip the ends this time instead of using tape.

And how many fenders? When I was new to the boat (and so was my slip-neighbor) I hung fenders all around on just about every stanchion. But that was a lot of work, so now I usually just hang two on the stanchions nearest the beam, on the side that I intend to dock. The new slip-neighbor seems much better at boat-handling, and anyway his boat is much more expensive than mine.