• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Clips?

Stuart 28-2

Member II
Anyone know what these clips are called?
I have a number missing and rain can get in.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_193640803~2.jpg
    IMG_20220608_193640803~2.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220608_193623090.jpg
    IMG_20220608_193623090.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 46

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I think they are called "snaps", used by upholstery/canvas workers who make dodgers, biminis, etc. I'm guessing they would be readily available.
Frank

David Grimm

E38-200
Yes "snaps". They look funny to you because you're not used to seeing them on a hard surface. It's primarily a boat thing.

windblown

Member III
Yes, specifically, "snap stud" or "screw snap stud." The one in the picture looks like it may have been for a companionway cover or dodger?
You mentioned that you have several missing, but if you are referring to the two holes that we can see on the starboard side in the second picture, they are supposed to be there. I have always assumed they allow moisture or condensation to drain, but others might know more.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, specifically, "snap stud" or "screw snap stud." The one in the picture looks like it may have been for a companionway cover or dodger?
You mentioned that you have several missing, but if you are referring to the two holes that we can see on the starboard side in the second picture, they are supposed to be there. I have always assumed they allow moisture or condensation to drain, but others might know more.
When we had a dodger installed on our previous boat, I saved some install time(money) and stone sealed all of the many snaps myself. Took 'em out one by one and inserted some sealant in every hole and drove each one back in. Ten years later when we sold that boat the coring passed all inspections and sensor reads with no problem. You would never want to leave such a hole in the deck structure open. Fill with epoxy or similar.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, those are drain holes. The spray shield over the sliding hatch isn't watertight, and they let water get out.

Stuart 28-2

Member II
Thanks all. Yes, I was thinking snaps were missing from those holes. Nice to know I can leave them alone - one less job!