• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Close call

treilley

Sustaining Partner
We prepped the boat on Friday for high winds and then it started looking worse(hurricane) on Saturday. I have been quite stressed for the last 24 hours. Of course now it looks like Kyle will head NE away from us.

Steve

Member III
Lucky - there is a Viking God

We went through TS Hanna a few weeks ago in southeast CT in a slip, would not want to repeat that exercise again. Saw a few gusts up over 45-50 but they stayed steady at around 40 for a few hours. Does not sound like much, but in the slip it was rough from the open exposure we had. Could not imagine anything close to hurricane status or over.

This yard we are in has a mandatory haul-out if an actual NOAA Hurricane warning is issued, not so much for your boat protection but for their floating docks.

I'm going to barrow a mooring in the next eastern TS, hopefully this is it.

Looks like Kyle is 42.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 66.1 WEST OR ABOUT 140 MILES... 225 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF NOVA SCOTIA at 5pm according to NOAA.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Yes its that time of year! Prepping for TS Hanna was largely unnecessary however it was good practice. Didn't bother this time as Kyle was well offshore. It wasn't even windy here. Being a mooring guy there isn't much I can do other than pull sails, etc. off the boat to reduce windage and make sure the chafing gear is well attached. I am much happier that the boat is on a mooring for storms however I am at the SW corner of the field. In a Nor'Easter the fetch is considerable and any one of the few hundred boats upwind that break free are headed straight for my boat. Thats why we have insurance, right? Never going to win against Mother Nature anyway. RT

when to reef

I've own an E23, I have never been in high winds, but tomorrow; I'm going out in 15 to 30kts winds, when shouldI reef? I usually sail in 8-15 kts. I have never reef this boat.Thanks

Dave Hussey

Member III
My mentor always said to reef 15 minutes before your scared, but always 30 minutes before your crew complains...how you measure these marks is the key to successful captaining:egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
How was it?

How was your breezy sail? There is a HUGE difference of course between 15 and 30 knots of wind..
If you still have questions, tell us what type of reefing system you have set up on your boat..and we will try to answer some specific questions for you.

BTW-"when to reef" is a function of a number of factors-the biggest variable being your headsails-how big are they? Do you have a furler? Does it reef the headsail well?

If you only have a 130% headsail, for example, you would reef the main sooner than the guy who can use a 100% headsail in the same breeze-because you are starting with more sail area---

Let us know..;)

S