• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

CNG to propane conversion

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
Bryan,
Does your locker lid have a hole in it like this?
View attachment 49640
Even though a leak and overflow is unlikely, there is an opening portlight at the foot of the quarter berth which opens to the cockpit deck. I'm thinking about plugging those lid holes with something like this:
View attachment 49641
It should keep some of the rain out too. With turning off the valve and routine drain checks, I'll be able to smoke the occasional stogie with a little more peace of mind.
J

No, the aft lazarette lids on the 32-3 are solid with no perforation

Nice solution for covering the hole. Be sure to seal the holes and the circumference with Sikaflex 291 or similar to keep the salt and spray out

lightbulbjb

What did you all use to secure the supply hose on its way from the locker to the appliance? The current CNG installation my boat came with is.... Just a bunch of hose laying on the shelf in the lazarette...

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
What did you all use to secure the supply hose on its way from the locker to the appliance? The current CNG installation my boat came with is.... Just a bunch of hose laying on the shelf in the lazarette...
I was thinking of using the zip ties with a hole to screw them to a surface, likely hanging. I do worry a bit about chafe on the hose tho.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Ref "sealing" the propane locker: I've been crawling around in the stern of my boat the past few days replacing scupper hoses. While under there I came upon the two Zurn/Qest fittings for the anchor locker drain. Both were barely hand tight, and the hose clamps rusted shut. The connection between the fittings the hose was so loose I was able to pull the hose off without freeing the hose clamps. Might be worth checking out....
20240329_204817~2.jpg

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
They come in various sizes and I think I used the larger ones I've been meaning to crawl in there and take some pictures (I need to get in there for some other projects too), but I forget every time I'm down on the boat.

Pete the Cat

Member III
Bryan,
Does your locker lid have a hole in it like this?
View attachment 49640
Even though a leak and overflow is unlikely, there is an opening portlight at the foot of the quarter berth which opens to the cockpit deck. I'm thinking about plugging those lid holes with something like this:
View attachment 49641
It should keep some of the rain out too. With turning off the valve and routine drain checks, I'll be able to smoke the occasional stogie with a little more peace of mind.
J
I have a locker with a hole in it like that on both of my boats. However, someone (factory? PO?) put round head bolts loosely in them-which I always took as a handle to snatch the lid open. But your idea would certainly work and be more elegant. I disagree with the idea of having the lid too tightly sealed. My thinking is that if you actually believe propane is heavier than air it needs to have air to replace the leaked propane or you might be making a bomb out of the locker from a spark from your grill or a smoker's careless ash. Also, there is H20 condensation from propane tanks that seems like a good idea to dissipate rather than bottle up and rust stuff. I would add that the drain is a maintenance item. They do fill up with stuff and flushing on some schedule seems like it should be on the check list. As I mentioned, I do not think it a good idea to leave the tank valve open and rely on the solenoid. I sort of consider the solenoid a safety back up in case I forget to close the tank valve. This also gives me a regular check with the pressure gauge of the integrity of the gas line to the stove. I like having a switch on the main panel for the stove--I realize it is redundant to the sniffer switch, but I like to leave the boat knowing all switches are "off" and the panel tells me that when I leave the boat. FWIW.

lightbulbjb

I ended up passing the supply hose thru some 1" pvc pipe that I secured to the liner with pieces copper hanger strap that I bent into little "d" shapes. I forgot to take pictures, and have a bit of work left to do to put in the straight thru. Will share when I get back to the boat next weekend.

Peaman's advice about drilling a hole thru a fitting to pull thru a messenger worked perfectly. Thank you!

Ended up drilling a hole in the top right corner of the panel behind the galley to fit the sniffer cable thru.. Do I need to add vapor-tight straight thrus to where the hose and the sniffer come into the galley, or is the sniffer hooked to the solenoid control good enough protection?

Prairie Schooner

. . .
. . . Do I need to add vapor-tight straight thrus to where the hose and the sniffer come into the galley, or is the sniffer hooked to the solenoid control good enough protection?
I'm not planning on that. My thinking is that the gland is only necessary where there's potential of gas getting through. With a continuous hose it would either be at the stove or the regulator assembly.

lightbulbjb

I'm not planning on that. My thinking is that the gland is only necessary where there's potential of gas getting through. With a continuous hose it would either be at the stove or the regulator assembly.
Lol, good, cuz I glued the angled panel at the bottom down around the edges when I reseated it (after prying it up to fish the sniffer thru). The screws were kinda stripped, and I thought it might be smart to help seal those seams. I'm sure I could get it back off if I wanted, but really don't feel like scraping caulk and all that.

Prairie Schooner

Lol, good, cuz I glued the angled panel at the bottom down around the edges when I reseated it (after prying it up to fish the sniffer thru). The screws were kinda stripped, and I thought it might be smart to help seal those seams. I'm sure I could get it back off if I wanted, but really don't feel like scraping caulk and all that.
I am planning on making sure there are chafe prevention measures wherever I can reach.

I found these helpful:

Jeff