• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Coaming box trim ring...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know a good source for coaming box trim rings? Either plastic or teak is fine. My coaming box was in pretty dire shape, so I removed the trim ring (silly me thinking this was an easily attainable part:dunce: ) and started working on the box. It had gotten brittle from the sun and the bottom has cracked and started to break.
I searched here for it, but the one thread I found didn't include a source for the trim rings.
FWIW- I've decided to glass over the breakage still in the original box (which is glassed in from the rear).
I'm sure someone has replaced one of these trim rings, right?
Thanks,
Chris

PS. Hoping to take her out for her first sail on Saturday :egrin:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Do you have a router? You can make a replacement quite easily out of teak if you do. Probably want to make it in four sections though, to keep the short grain from breaking.

Nate

Glyn Judson

Chris, If your coaming box is anything like the ones on our E31's are, teak with the box attached to the decoearive ring, six mountng screws and two scuppers, they were most likely made by H & L Marine. They're still arround and still make those boxes. You can reach them at 310.638.8746 to describe your need. In my case, the thin teak plywood box part had rotted free of the facia leaving a pretty hole in the coaming. A simple call to them and two new ones were on their way to me within a few days. Not only did the mounting screws even match perfectly, but they had redisigned the bottom of the box to tilt more at an angle so it wouldn't puddle water any more and rot the bottom but just drain the way it should through their own scuppers. They're old world in that they don't have a web site but if you call them they can send a lovely color catalog to you and/or, armed with measurements, you could probably buy one right over the phone. If I didn't say it already, they were the OEM for Ericson in the day for those kinds of parts including drop boards for those tempted to go the smoked plastic route as is currently going on in another thread. Good luck, Glyn

u079721

Contributing Partner
Plasteak?

Glyn's suggestion sure sounds like the perfect solution, if you can indeed get an exact replacement for the original.

But if you have to make one, I would suggest you might think about using some of that fake wood, or Plasteak. The trim piece is a very exposed position, and at least on my 38 it was always getting scuffed and scratched. A few minutes with a router and a sheet of Plasteak should allow you to make one that would never need finishing and be extreamly durable. Sure it wouldn't look as good as real teak, but it might look better than scratched up teak.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
some days just go right...

I was up in Annapolis today and swung by Fawcetts, they had one that looked too small- but it's hard to tell. Stopped by the boat and it's exactly what is needed. Thanks for all the input guys, the plasteak idea is a good one. As much as they were a little annoying here before, it might be worth looking into in the future.
Chris