Come and meet Sean Engle

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
November 12th Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club (CBEC) Meeting
Special Guest Speaker Sean Engle

The Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club (CBEC) is hosting special guest speaker Sean Engle, EY.org Administrator. All CBEC and EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker.

Agenda
  • Moderator Introductions
  • Meet the Special Guest
  • Open discussion
Meeting Duration: 40 minutes
Date: November 12, 2021
Time (EST): 7 PM Eastern Time,
Time: (PST): 4 PM Pacific Standard Time
Join Zoom Meeting

https://us05web.zoom.us/j/89374030937?pwd=K0NZZVFHc3l3Lzk4UkNPeDN3TmhVQT09

Meeting ID: 893 7403 0937

Passcode: 1FM3HA

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Could you confirm the time? Looks like some emojis got in the way!

Sure hope Sean's security detail is squared away and paying attention - this could be BIG!

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Tenders,
I spoke with Sean Engel about that, for some reason zeros are converted to emojis.
East coast meeting time is 1900
West Coast meeting time is 1600

Sean's agenda is to talk about the EY.org, why he founded it, how it grew into what it is today, and where he would like to see it grow in the future.

I expect the event to be a lot of fun.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I spoke with Sean Engel about that, for some reason zeros are converted to emojis.
Actually, the emojis come from using a particular combination of letters and symbols, making the emoji appear in lieu by the style script. The choice of letter/symbols was fairly cryptic to keep from having 'accidental emojis' appear, but basically it's old script. I edited the posts above to exclude them (apologies, Mark - don't mean to be heavy-handed in editing your post) so the sentences could be more easily read.

We're trying to get away from the use of the old emojis as they are small, low resolution and can cause scripting issues. We discourage their use going forward and seek to use those which currently appear on the pallet. The ones used above were transitional - from the old pallet - but have now been retired.

Why were emojis left in at all during the conversion you ask? They were left in because when the site was founded twenty years ago, we added a ton of emojis as they were popular and people seemed to like them. So now, they exist in the historical database posts, and I did not want to have unintelligible script to be their replacement (if I just got rid of them) when we came over to the Xenforo platform.

Again, please use the emojis on the current pallet and not the historical ones so the database will be ridded of them going forward. I'll copy this message over to the FYI board for clarity...

//sse

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This was fun! It was nice to see you all in motion, and particular thanks to Sean for yet another generous application of his time to the Ericson community. To next month's meeting!

alcodiesel

Member III
Day late and a dollar short.

Just seeing this now

1. Was this zoom recorded?
2. "To next month's meeting!" these are monthly?

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Good Day Bill,

You missed a great meeting last evening with guest speaker Sean Engel, EYo_Org founder and administrator.
Sean's selfless dedication has been and will continue to benefit the Ericson community for many years to come.

Look for the December meeting announcement when we host Mark Blace, retired Coast Guard Commander.

The Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club Virtual Meetings are Monthly, have guest speakers with a duration of 40 minutes.
Meeting Recordings: We began the virtual meetings in September as a 6 month beta program to test interest before investing in a Zoom license.
Analysis: Meeting attendance: Average attendance is 5; Attendee Demographic: Attendees lean toward long time EYO contributors; Feedback: Feedback is very positive and leaning toward continuing the meetings and potentially renaming the meetings to be EYo_Org inclusive, decision pending.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Tenders,

I am going to have to hook up with you next sailing season when I explore Long Island Sound. It might make a good virtual meeting discussion.

Mark

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Tenders,

I am going to have to hook up with you next sailing season when I explore Long Island Sound. It might make a good virtual meeting discussion.

Mark
Indeed you should! And you should plan to spend a night at my club on the most westerly part of the Sound. It has access to many great restaurants, a laundromat, and a grocery store, all within walking distance, as well as a bus to Manhattan.

Alan Gomes

Contributing Partner
Good Day Bill,

You missed a great meeting last evening with guest speaker Sean Engel, EYo_Org founder and administrator.
Sean's selfless dedication has been and will continue to benefit the Ericson community for many years to come.

Look for the December meeting announcement when we host Mark Blace, retired Coast Guard Commander.

The Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club Virtual Meetings are Monthly, have guest speakers with a duration of 40 minutes.
Meeting Recordings: We began the virtual meetings in September as a 6 month beta program to test interest before investing in a Zoom license.
Analysis: Meeting attendance: Average attendance is 5; Attendee Demographic: Attendees lean toward long time EYO contributors; Feedback: Feedback is very positive and leaning toward continuing the meetings and potentially renaming the meetings to be EYo_Org inclusive, decision pending.

Mark "Souleman" Soule
I was really bummed to have missed it, Mark. I spent all day working on some major plumbing repairs that I hadn't planned on. I'm sure it was a great time. Hopefully I'll have better luck making the next one!

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Tenders,
Let me know the name of your marina. I am a member of Safe Harbor Marinas and have free transient access to a number of marinas up and down the Long Island.

Alan,
You were missed, there was a lot of virtual adult beverages available for attendees.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Oh, I’d thought it was in my profile - I guess it isn’t any more. It’s a yacht club, not a marina: Harlem Yacht Club, not in Harlem, but on City Island. The marinas on CI are docks, and are on the less-protected (seaward) side of the island. The yacht clubs are on the more-protected side, closer to NYC, and are moorings with launch service.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
City Island is on my cruise route - Portsmouth R.I. - Block Island - Shelter Island with City Island right across the water from Shelter Island.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I would not describe City Island's location quite that way in relation to Shelter Island, but I guess it COULD be described that way.

Navman

Member III
I will NOT miss the next one. Great job Mark obtaining these guest speakers!! I sadly had to schedule the winter haul out for The Optimist II. Date is set for December 13th. That leaves us an opportunity to do at least 2 more overnighter weekends and MAYBE 3 if the Gods cooperate. Are yuo hauled yet Mark? I know up there they pull them earlier than on the Chessy. ~~_/) ~~

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Don,
Unfortunately, the marina's this far north mandate pulling boats the end of October. I miss two things, Sailing on the Chesapeake in the year round and the Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club meetings in Annapolis (great food, drink and comradery). You guys are special.

As for guest speakers, if you know of anyone you would like to hear from let me know. currently December and January speaking engagements are in place with Martin King and Marl Blace (Retired Coast Guard Commodore).

Mark "Souleman" Soule

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Good morning Loren,
The December virtual meeting announcement will be posted the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The December meeting date will be the 10th at 7:eek:0 PM EST the guest speaker is Martin King

Alan Gomes

Contributing Partner
Good morning Loren,
The December virtual meeting announcement will be posted the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The December meeting date will be the 10th at 7:eek:0 PM EST the guest speaker is Martin King
Really looking forward to it! I sure hope nothing keeps me from attending as happened with the last meeting.

If all goes as planned and the weather permits, I'll be joining you from my boat over at Catalina (likely Isthmus Cove or Cat Harbor). I've got a bunch of end of semester grading to do, and so I'll sit on a mooring for a week and grade my brains out!