• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Coming to Vancouver

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Hello Fellow Vikings

My wife and I will be traveling from Florida to Vancouver and will be in town August 14-16. Can anyone give us some information on where to stay, what to see….?

Thanks in advanc!
Rick

Teranodon

Member III
Vancouver is a pleasant city. It's not especially attractive physically, being dominated by cookie-cutter high-rise apartment buildings. Their advantage is that young, hard-working people actually live in the city, making it a bustling, reasonably safe place, even at night. There is plenty to see/do, as any guidebook will inform you. For me, three attractions stand out: the Museum of Anthropology at UBC (especially the world-class "Raven and the First Men"), the UBC Botanical Garden, and the dim sum restaurants in Richmond. For the latter, check the internet blogs for currently best places. The pandemic has shuffled the restaurant scene in many cities, I fear.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Stefan, Pre pandemic, I have eaten there often. Good food. Small place, on Hayden Island close to I-5 interchange.
Looks like they might not be fully open yet, or or offering take our only, for the present.

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Looking at areas to stay…..looks like downtown might be fun. We’re taking a cruise from VBC to Alaska and back. Will have a few days before and after the cruise to check out the area.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Was just up there last week for business for a few days. Stayed downtown. If you are going to do that, I'd suggest the Rosewood hotel on Georgia St. All downtown hotels are pretty pricy, so I go for one with nice amenities. Close to restaurants and shopping. For the attractions, there's also Stanley Park, Gastown, and try the Asian night market. And be sure to check the exchange rate before you die of sticker shock.

Another nice area to stay is Granville Island. Great market, good vibe and fairly close to get downtown via water taxi or walking. Stanley Park is great to rent bikes and tour or walk. There is a lot. Depends on what you like to do.

Teranodon

Member III
My wife and I stayed in the Moda Hotel downtown a couple of times, and we thought it was a good value. It's next to the concert hall, a converted grandiose movie theatre. Nice breakfast.

C.J.B

As to Vancouver, WA, does anyone know when the dock will open so we can tie up and enjoy the new Vancouver waterfront, which they did quite a nice job with. I was down there a couple of weeks ago, and while you might be able to use the dock in a pinch, the surrounding area was fenced off from the rest of the grounds, so you wouldn't be able to access anything for now.

Stuphoto

Member III
If you like gardens check Queen Elizabeth Park.

Definitely Stanley Park.

Although I wouldn't drive there Granville Island is nice. Very limited parking.

On the north shore, Britannia Mine Museum should be interesting.

Plus the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Again try taking a bus there.

I would eat in the Old Spaghetti Factory, and explore Gas Town while at it.

Sorry I have never stayed in decent accomodations in Vancouver.
You have to look at your budget and see what you can actually afford.

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
Also, if you enjoy craft beer, Vancouver has an excellent brewing scene. I myself live downtown (in Yaletown), and love it. The great thing about the downtown core is that it is eminently walkable. From the airport, you can take the Canada Line skytrain to the city for $7.50 or so, and beat the cabs, and from there do pretty much everything on foot, before going to the terminal for your cruise.