• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Compass Bubble Fill

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This Ritchie (Danforth) 5" Constellation was sent to Viking for refurbishing about two years ago. Viking replaces the card, lens, diaphragm and fluid for about $250. Recently it developed this bubble.

1-bub1.JPG

I have a hunch there's a leak in the diaphragm. But in the meantime, it's a five-minute job to remove the bubble by adding fluid. Good idea to put the compass and fluid in the fridge overnight for max density.

What fluid? C'mon! Ritchie Compass Fluid. Why guess?

1-bub2.jpg

I happened to have an epoxy syringe, but a turkey baster works too.

1-bub3.JPG

It takes a few tries "burping" the dome before all the bubbles are out.

The key to a full dome is the diaphragm, which expands and contracts as temperature changes. Rubber gets old, so periodic replacement is necessary. That's easy: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?122-Ritchie-Diaphragm-Replacement

1-bub4.JPG

We'll see how long this one stays full.

1-bub5.JPG

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Christian,

That was a very timely post as I have developed a bubble. I will see what I can get done applying this sound advice.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
10/20/20. Bubble is back. Size of a button. Doesn't seem to matter and may be dependent on temperature.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I had a leak/air bubble in mine, too. Leak was from the fill screw, not the diaphragm. No leaks since refill 2 years ago. I remove the compass every winter and store it indoors.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Don't know if it will still work, but they used to be filled with good ol' kerosene or mineral oil.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

What type of fluid is in my Ritchie Magnetic Compass?

Until 2001, all Ritchie compasses (see exception) were filled with Odorless Mineral Spirits (100% Paraffin based). Ritchie now uses a fluid called Isopar L that has similar properties but some added benefits over Odorless Mineral Spirits.
Exception: Some old style Flat Top Compasses used a mix of denatured alcohol and water. This process was stopped in the 1960s. If you have a Flat Top Compass, it is recommended that you test the fluid to see if it is Odorless Mineral Spirits or an alcohol/water mix

Ed Valente

Member II
When I replaced the dome on mine about two years ago, I used this bottle I found at a local science surplus store for the refill. The volume expedited the process. So far I’ve had no issues (at least involving the compass).

Attachments

• D55F9081-5F34-4A49-ACE3-E6347B75F91B.jpeg
    D55F9081-5F34-4A49-ACE3-E6347B75F91B.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 8