• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Compression Post and bulkhead troubles

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
IMGP2329 (960x1280).jpg This is a photo of the base of my 1970 E-32-200 compression post taken from the head area looking aft. The plywood at the bulkhead is mush. The problem is, that this is below the area of the bulkhead that I was planning on keeping. The compression post is wet, but not mush. I think a little water is trapped between the liner and the post, and the post has capillary'd it up a few inches. Has anyone had success at either drying out the compression post or replacing it with the mast still up? I have a floor joist jack that should be able to support the mast, but I think it would get in the way while putting the section of bulkhead in.

IMGP2325 (1280x960).jpg Here's the wood I've cut away from the seat just aft of the main port bulkhead. I still need to trim the fiberglass tabbing and build the strips of wood that support the new piece)

My big questions are: Do I need to replace the compression post? Can I use something other than wood? I was thinking aluminum. Lastly, is there a way to replace the sliver of plywood between the post and the fiberglass without removing the post? It seems like there is a groove routed in the post to cradle the bulkhead.

Thanks for your comments!
-Dean