• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Corrosion on Keel Bolt Washers

archangel

Archangel
Has anyone replaced, or completely backed off a nut on a keel bolt while in the water. Unfortunately in my 12 years of ownership , I have struggled to keep my bilges dry most of the time. Fixing leaking water tanks, shaft seals, fresh water pumps, rain, galley pumps, on and on. I now have a severe corrosion problem on two washers , under the nut going into the bottom of the boat. Assuming the water is not coming up from the keel , I would like to repair this myself. I feel I could use a good penetration oil , on the bolt before attempting a nut, and washer replacement. I know stainless steel will corrode when starved of air. I would like to try this myself , I know the Yard will do it, but if the bolt is corroded , would like to know before the Yard does ., $$$ Anyone ben down this Rabbit hole before? Suggestions, or your experience greatly appreciated.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Suggest you take a wire brush on a power tool and polish up the washers. They're hefty, rust is typical, and you can easily confirm their integrity. If you want to, back off the nut a bit and check the threads. Don't be surprised to find some deterioration. Question is simply, are you worried or not?

That answer varies with the owner.

(I see you have an '88 E35. Helps to show that in signature line. Name/Account Details/Signature)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What model and year is your boat?

While not about your exact question/problem, there is an extensive keel bolt thread here:

There might be some useful information.

archangel

Archangel
Thanks to all that replied to my post on corrosion related to the keel bolts. Looks like I have a lot to think about before my next haul out.