• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cost E35-2 standing rigging

Nicki

Member I
Hello again,
Can anyone give me a close figure to what it would cost in materials to replace the standing rigging and bottlescrews on an E35-2 in Florida? I will do everything but cut the wire and swage the terminals.
Thanks again.
Nicki

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
It cost me $1200 US in Florida four years ago, for all the wire and fittings, ready to put straight onto the boat. Bottlescrews is not a term I am familiar with.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

wurzner

Member III
Bottle screws are turnbuckles for your standing rigging. Nicki, I would consider Haynes swageless fittings and dyform wire. The dyform wire is a little more expensive as are the Haynes fittings, but you can do the work yourself. You can read up on the merits of dyform and decide if it is worth the extra money. When I worked the numbers for my 32 ( I now have a 38), the prices betweeen normal wire and Dyform was about $400 more if memory serves me right. I like the Haynes fittings the most ( I believe they are from your side of the pond) and they appear to be an easy do it yourself for someone who is not scared of learning something new.

Cheers to you and your recent acquisition. I agree that sailing it back would be great, but ensuring the integrity of the boat would definately play into it.

Shaun

Nicki

Member I
Dear Gareth and Shaun,
Thanks very much for the replies.
Put in the context of C$12K for shipping, $1200 odd seems a very small bite and a considerable step up in sea-worthyness.
I would definitely consider Dyform and Haynes. We have Stalok and Norseman. Are they from your side? A considerable portion of my plans envolve single-handed racing so Again Dyform would really work. It really depends on the state of the boat when I see her. I am most certainly up for learning anything new.
Thanks again for your swift and knowledgeable thoughts.
Regards,
Nicki