• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cradle - 26' Ericson

bobaluke

Am seeking any information or advice on obtaining a new or used cradle for my E26. At present my boat is on stanchions in my side yard. Iam having a very difficult time finding a boat hauler with a hydraulic trailer to accomodate my boat. If the boat was on a cradle there are many boat haulers who could accomadate me. I live on Long Island, New York.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
That's odd. Around here (and in Boston) it's the opposite situation. Very hard to find someone who will move a large boat in a cradle. It's preferred to keep boats here on stands so a hydraulic trailer can pick it up.

Have you called a couple boat yards around you to ask who moves their boats?

bobaluke

craddle E26

Nate, thanks for replying but here on L.I.N.Y. the preferred method is the craddle. Any suggestions for a craddle ? Bob

bobaluke

craddle E26

Nate, thanks again for replying. Do you have any plans that can work ?? Steel or Wood....Bob

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I don't have specific plans. I've built a cradle once from wood, but it was for a 26' inboard powerboat.

It consisted of 8x8" rails running fore and aft for the base (sort of like sled runners), and there were 8x8" cross members spanning at bow, stern, and midships. Then 2x10s were mounted diagonally to support the V-hull, with vertical supports at their outboard ends to take the weight.

I realize that's not much help for a keelboat. :)

I think this is a practical alternative if you have access to timbers, or trees, and a guy with a portable bandsaw mill. Otherwise, the timbers might be prohibitively expensive. Hiring a local welder might be a better option in that case.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. Good luck.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Well, well, well...I happen to have a very nice, never-used, highly adjustable Jowi Model 2 folding steel cradle located at the Harlem Yacht Club on City Island. Here are the specs:

http://www.jowi.com/productline.htm

It is larger than your boat needs but it could probably be configured to work. I am told it is easily cut down but I don't have welding equipment, or a particular need for a smaller cradle.

I'm not sure quite how a boat hauler would maneuver a boat on a cradle up onto a truck. We use cradles for winter storage at the HYC and have a specialized yard "cart" which lifts the cradles up just enough to move them around the parking lot, with or without boats on them.

Interested? It is doing me no good whatsoever.

tenders

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'm not sure quite how a boat hauler would maneuver a boat on a cradle up onto a truck.

This is my big curiosity as well. Can you solve the mystery for us? What magical mode of yacht transport is in use on LINY? Heavy-lift helicopter? :p

bobaluke

Reply to a mystery

The boat haulers on L.I. use a sliding piece in the center of the hauling trailer that slides the keel forward positioning it in a trailerable mode. Naturally all the usual tie downs are used so the boat does not move. It's amazingling easy and efficient since the boat floats off the trailer at the ramp....Bob

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I understand how the boat comes off the trailer once it gets into the water but I still don't see how the cradle factors into the equation. Does the truck incorporate the cradle's structure with the boat on it, or does the cradle stay behind once the boat is loaded on the truck?

(And any interest in the Jowi 2.0?)

bobaluke

cradle E26

Tenders,
The cradle stays on the trailer and goes into the water with the boat. The boat floats off and the trailer with the cradle on it is pulled out of the
water. The hauler then brings the cradle back to your house.
Jowi 2.0 Cradle - I think this cradle is too big in width for the boat hauler to bring it back to L.I. Jowi says the proper cradle for my boat is the 1.0.However if the 2.0 could be modified by a welder on city island? The boat haulers trailer can only accomodate a 5 foot wide cradle. The cost of hauling it from city island to long island woud be $350. I don't know what you are asking for the cradle?

bobaluke

cradle E26

Tenders,
thanks for the reply but the cradle with it's modifications and transportation would not be cost effective for me. Hope someone with with a bigger boat can take advantage of your offer.....bob