• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Curtains over cabin port lights

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have sunbrella (r) covers for both overhead hatches. These fit tightly around the perimeter of the Lewmar hatch with elastic cording in the bottom of the cover that pulls them tight around the corners of the hatch. Stops (hopefully) the UV damage when at the dock, lets us sleep in when the sun rises in the am, and gives privacy.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Me too. And they can stay on for a day sail, even with the hatch open.

On the first Thelonious the V-berth cushions were destroyed by the UV through the (crazed) forward hatch. It may have taken 20 years, but the area of faded and rotted upholstery was right under the hatch--and nowhere else.

frick

Member III
I used sunbrella

Steve,

While I agree that there are more "important" things than replacing curtains, I recently succumb to the urge to get rid of the 15 year-old rags that were partially covering the portlights on our E34. After much consideration, we opted for a really good looking Sunbrella materials (warm gold with a navy pin stripe) that complements the teak, the blue cushions and the cane trim. That said, we had the curtains made (original quote - $200; not that bad). With no alternative for hanging the curtains (I wish we had read Loren's post first), we stayed with the aluminum extrusions and had slides "hand-sewn" to the curtains (another $200). All said and done, we now have some beautiful curtains that fit, look great and -- since the materials is Subrella -- should last forever. Long story short, take a look at the available Sunbrella material and use Loren's method for attachment; should yield great results and relatively low cost!

Chris

gplus-567933047.jpg

I used some left over Pacific blue sunbrella and made new curtains. I only used a top curtan rod.

Rick

fool

Member III
Until this week, I had an opaque hatch in the V-berth that didn't seem to need UV or privacy protection. Now I have a transparent (smoked plastic) one. What do people do to screen these? If anything?

We went with Outland Hatch Covers, made from PVC to fit your hatch type. About 60 bucks each for the two Lewmar Superhatches on September Sun. These PVC covers attach to the outside of that hatch by industrial velcro fastened twist toggles and significantly reduce light and heat down below (not to mention protecting the acrylic hatch from UV).

The Oceanaire shades previously mentioned were added to the interior after the original shades self destructed in the washing machine. I was sad to see them go as they looked kinda salty, but sun and time are not kind to any of us. I found four that would work on the small hatches for next to nothing at a marine consignment store, and the rest was history (and a credit card).

We also added Phifertex covers to the larger aft ports using snaps to hold them on. This is a loosely woven plastic that reduces light by either 70% or 90% depending on the type. From a distance you can't tell the covers are there. From the inside of the boat you can still see out, and when it is brighter outside than inside the boat no one can see in. https://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-Mesh-White-000-54

The smaller hatches benefited from Seaworthy Goods PortVisors, nice for keeping the dew and misty rain from falling directly through the portholes. In a moderate rain a bit of water still splashes in from off of the deck, but otherwise a nice addition for dry ventilation. They seem to shade just a bit as well. (Seaworthy also makes an engine panel cover that fits perfectly over the ol' Universal panel.) Super nice folks to boot.
http://seaworthygoods.com/

Somewhere around here are pictures of all of the above installed. If I find them I'll add them to the post.

Cheers,

Max

outland hatch cover.png PortVisor_closeup_w_web_bkgnd-214x168.jpg test-blue-bkgrd-2-290x265.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It occurs to me that greenhouse shadecloth might be the ideal material for boat curtains and cost only a few pennies. If you buy it in greenhouse quantities, that is. Maybe a bit too goth-looking for 70’s era boats , but I suppose you could sew it on to the front material of your choice.
The kind that I have now might be a bit too stiff and Bulky but there the previous set - thinner and more reflective - might be just right. But it only lasted 30 years.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I’ll be anxious to see the responses you get as we’re finally ready to now work on cabin niceties after a long and grueling MAJOR and total refit of our boat.

The original curtains that came with our boat died in only a few short years due to the intense Florida UV sunlight. We made our own, which again lasted only a few years.

We then went with mini venetian blinds (cheapies from good old WallyWorld) that actually lasted a lot longer than the curtains did. They’re a bit of a pain, just like in a home, to keep clean but did give a nice clean look and were much easier to open/close for more light or privacy.

Before we simply do the same with the blinds again, we’ve wanted to explore our options as well to see what else is new and available.

Looking forward to seeing the postings and information that appears.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not limited to one model, but here is a curtain thread:
And another:

The subject keeps coming back, as UV keeps destroying the original curtains on boats. :(

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I vote for combining this thread with "Replacing Curtains" to keep the stuff in one place. I'll update my solution there.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Update: I'm not a fan of curtains as decoration on a boat, so I have Sunbrella covers that snap on to six studs. No curtain rod or track. They stay on when I leave the boat (UV protection). They come off for sailing. They go on for napping. When off, they fold small roll. This has worked well for me for more than five years now.

The studs actually go into the original curtain track holes. They only have 3/8th or so to grab in the venveer before hitting the fiberglass, so I clipped off the points of the screws. They seem to hold fine. If not, a dab of epoxy.

IMG_2401.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It might be just me, but the merging of threads seems different in our new site software, so it took me a couple of uncertain steps. Please let me know if I have lost anyone's posts.
Thanks,
Loren

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Not limited to one model, but here is a curtain thread:
And another:

The subject keeps coming back, as UV keeps destroying the original curtains on boats. :(

And that is why we did away with our curtains / track when we rehabbed our interior. Have not missed having curtains in 20 years.