• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Custom Mattress

Chris Mc.

Member III
I had one made for my 32-3 recently, which I ordered through my Marina’s on site seamstress (Canvas Connection). I’m heading to the boat tomorrow and will get the manufacturer’s name for ya. Definitely not cheap but IMO worth it and makes a world of difference for comfort.

Teranodon

Member III
I had good mattresses made in Marysville, Washington. That information is probably of no use to you, so let me make two points: (1) choose a manufacturer who knows about boats and how their sides are bevelled; (2) choose a design that is comfortable, but as thin as possible. A thick mattress reduces headroom in the forepeak.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If you have decent cushions already a memory foam topper might work for you. We bought one from Costco, to go on top of our new cushions, and our upholstery guy modified it and its cover to fit our v-berth.

jav317

Member III
Thank you for the information. There is a boat mattress company here in San Diego and they quoted about $1000 for a 7' thick for the aft-cabin. I think that would be too thick for either V berth or the Aft. I think 5" max, but I could do that with a topper. I see what Chris Mc, has done.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Our topper is 3 inches, on top of 4 inch cushions. $160 for a queen topper.

Chris Mc.

Member III
Here ya go.

Attachments

• BD54D964-DFF3-4ED8-8051-9EA165928498.jpeg
    BD54D964-DFF3-4ED8-8051-9EA165928498.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 928BED0A-DDE5-4B4A-8FC5-CFB5934FC010.jpeg
    928BED0A-DDE5-4B4A-8FC5-CFB5934FC010.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 20

p.gazibara

Member III
If you are looking for a more affordable route, buying a foam “bed in a box” and cutting it down to size with an electric bread knife is a solid option.

Ava and I made our mattress with sheets of foam we bought at a bedding store in Costa Rica. It took one full day to cut the foam sheets into the correct V berth size, contact cement the two densities of foam together, and sew a cover over it with the scrap fabric we had.

Starting with a bed in a box, all you would have to do is cut to size and have someone stitch or modify the cover.

I think the beds can be had for under $400 on Amazon.

We made our bed out of 3” of hard density and 2” of medium density foam. It’s so comfortable that sleeping on land beds again has been a real struggle.

Side note: if you decide to put seams in the mattress to access the under berth storage, try not to put them in the center of the bed if you can help it. We decided to cut the mattress into three sections with seams athwart ship so that a couple won’t notice the seam when sleeping in the berth.

-P