• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

TorMar

Member II
My original mast head anemometer has slowed to an unbalanced crawl. To make matters worse, a big bird tried to sit on it and when it spun on him, his frantic flapping in getting away, knocked off the directional fin.
The dilemma now is what to do. The other original instruments still work well - boat speed and depth show accurately on the main unit as well as on the binnacle repeater. Expense wise, getting a plug in replacement anemometer would be the smart move, if I can find one. Alternatively, the Raymarine ST60wind speed set up looks promising, but would add a stand alone instrument to the existing data marine boat speed and water depth.
For not a lot more dollars the ST60 tri data set up would get me into the modern age.
Another option would be adding a depth and speed transducer to my Lawrence 527 igps plotter/sounder. I could use the present speed transducer thru hull opening. Then I would just need to get a stand alone wind speed unit. If I did that, I would remove the existing Data Marine instruments.

Trying to keep it simple, I've contacted DMI about getting a rebuild kit for the anemometer, and although they took my credit card information and agreed to send me one, they have not done so. They 'lost' the information in the initial order, and then when I phoned weeks later, despite being promised that the item would be shipped that day, there's been no sign of it. I phoned again weeks later only to be told the item had been shipped. There's been no charge against my credit card by DMI in all that time, so I can only speculate about what is really going on here.....

Any thoughts or recommendations will be most appreciated.

Tor

Decisions, decisions.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For whatever it's worth, after we replaced our '88 model Datamarine instruments with the set of three Raymarine instruments, we liked the large digital readouts a lot and with the newer generation instrument package you can choose true or apparent wind speed and direction. Not a big deal, but a nice feature.

Try to find a package deal on the instruments -- sometimes Raymarine sells this "basic three" in one box at a discount. I have a thread on this board with the pictures of the mods I had to make to the holes where the old Datamarine heads used to reside.

Once more thing, the newer instrument heads do not intrude into the boat interior nearly as far, either.

Loren

Mindscape

Member III
DMI - a little suprised

From a different point of view......had a similar issue, and rebuilt the head unit with stuff from DMI and everything is working fine. Did not have issues with DMI, but it was a few years ago. This route was obviously much cheaper than getting new stuff. On the other hand, those big digital numbers are way easier to see (read my eyes are going) and all of the ST60 stuff has a NEMA interface (my knot meter does not) and they sure are nice looking.....

wheelerwbrian

Member III
apparently there are two dmi/datamarine outfits -- one in Massachusetts http://www.dmimarine.com/ and the other in Washington http://www.sea-dmi.com/. I used the Ma one to get my new depth transducer last summer and they were very helpful and prompt. I've not heard good things about the Washington outfit.

I think the Ma operation is pretty small but you can always get someone on the phone and "Steve" took alot of time to help me troubleshoot. I had thought I could just replace the transducer core with the boat in the water but found it was no longer made to fit the sleeve so I had to replace the entire thruhull. They shipped it to me in time for me to install and get the boat back in the water, a matter of about a week.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Datamarine parts from the Past

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?p=50915#post50915

View post #6.
Sometimes, in an idle moment, I wonder what sort of marine parts, pieces, and "new old stock" will continue to emerge from the past. Continually.
:confused:

From Tom's description, he has only "NOS" parts... but that might be just what a lot of owners of 80's boats need to keep on reading them knots and feets.
:cool:

Of course, it all depends on price, there being no factory warranty on such parts.
(On a much lower rung of the technology scale, it may be similar to my selling several original-package interior red/white marine lights at a swap meet last spring --- I bought them at a large discount, kept 'em on the shelf for more than a decade, finally decided they would never get used, and sold 'em cheap. I may have broke even, perhaps...)
;)

Happy hunting.
Regards,
Loren

delwarne

Member II
ST60+ instruments ae the "bomb" for old eyes!

Our Datamarine masthead unit died after a very bad storm so faced with a mast stepping we opted to upgrade to Raymarine ST60+ units ... I can see them! BTW they fit in the datamarine holes perfectly .

Anyone need Corinthian Series parts?

Del

Glyn Judson

Datamarine parts.

Del, I'm facing repairs on two of my three Datamarine instruments, do you have wind, depth and speed instruments? If so, I'd like to talk more with you. Can you email me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com or by phone at 310.453.1892? Thanks, Glyn

TorMar

Member II
Happy update. DMI came through with parts.

We were away for three weeks and upon our return were greeted by a parcel from DMI containing the rebuild kit and directional fin and holder for the masthead unit.

Needless to say, we are very, very happy!!!! The total cost of the kit and parts was $100, and the repair is one that is quite straight forward.

I will now have full wind data again without having to spend the $1000 plus for a new, stand alone unit from Raymarine or others. No need for new cable to run down the mast or new wiring to connect another stand alone instrument, or to locate the placement of a new diplay. I just have to repair the existing unit, plug it in, and turn it on. Sweet!!!!

Thank you Steven and others at DMI for coming through!

Tor