• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Datamarine Instrument Replacement

aquavit

Member II
The 20 year old Datamarine depth and speed instruments functioned well enough for me to bring my boat home, after the PO replaced the paddlewheel and transducer for the speed, but they are both getting very tempermental now. I have spent more time than I want to making sure that they had good voltage connections, cables were OK and not corroded etc. so I think I will replace them. I was thinking along the lines of a Garmin 720s Chartplotter with a depth transducer to replace the one in the hull already. I would then have depth from the transducer, and speed and position from the GPS. Anyone have any other ideas on a decent combination that would give me the same functionality?

Aquavit, Glenn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not an inexpensive unit, and like most current Garmin models the chart chip door is secured with a powerful permanent magnet -- something that does not belong on a sail boat, IMHO.
I took a screen shot from their on-line install manual.

FWIW, I believe that there are better quality instruments with better engineering on the market.

Note that this (like any GPS) will not give you speed thru water, but only speed over ground.

When our orig. Datamarine stuff started dying we replaced them with a Raymarine ST60 instrument set. Now I note that the surviving Datamarine company has its own new instruments out, as well. http://www.dmimarine.com/

Best,
Loren

Attachments

• Garmin warning.jpg
    Garmin warning.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:

aquavit

Member II
Loren;

Interesting clip from their installation manual, I'll keep on looking for the best solution. Speed over ground and speed through water are going to be more or less the same in my area, tides don't happen here and there are no rivers that I will be accessing. I would like to reduce the physical size of the gauge package on the boat so I don't want to replace the datamarines with something of the same size. I also want a GPS system. Any suggestions on more suitable GPS units? As far as the price is concerned, my time is rather valuable to me. I own a business and it sucks every extra minute out of me that it can. I would rather spend more money up front, install whatever unit I purchase once, and be done with it. I have already lost a few hours tinkering with the old gauges.

Glenn (Aquavit)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As far as models readily available in the N.A. market, and further limiting selection to stuff that fits under the ss guard on a wheel-steered sailboat...
this would filter out the very newest wide-case wide-screen display Raymarine boxes, but leaves the Furuno GP7000 series of GPS/fishfinders. If wanting radar they have a 1724C model that adds that.

That's likely what we will change over to when we update from our fragile & quirky Garmin plotter, and separate (but reliable!) Furuno 1715 radar unit.

Opinions provided, on the hour, deposit $.02 please.
:rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

stillwater

Member II
Nmea 2000

Garmin, Lowrance, Maretron all make multi non-proprietary displays for data of all sorts. GPS, STW, Depth, WInd speed and direction, fuel levels, temps, engine dats, on and on. The Garmin GMI 10 makes a great multi function display for a sailboat. Lowrance LMF 400 is very good for the cheap price of about $150 but won't display wind data. MUch of this data can be dispalyed on an nmea chart plotter, too. Easier, simpler installation. Furuno and Raymarine hardware now supports NMEA 2000 data too, but not quite as easy. (they like special connectors?!) Airmar makes the depth, speed, temp smart transducers and wind gear. Maretron, Garmin and Lowrance make fuel level sensors, fuel flow sensors, ruuder indicators. Lowrance and Garmin chart plotters interface with NMEA 0183 auto pilots easily and there are bridges made to support computer usage. Lots of good stuff out there now.

I like the non proprietary aspect. mix and match. I've installed three varying NMEA systems this year (one 40' powerboat and two sailboats) and really am an advocate.

Check it out!
Dal

Emerald

You may also want to look into something with AIS tracking or interface capabilities, especially if you are looking at a system that can overlay GPS and radar, next is to add the AIS and then even weather.

aquavit

Member II
Mr. McKillip;

When I find the perfect solution, You can have the datamarines. I think you can PM me through this site and I will forward them when the time comes. It may be a little while yet because I want the right solution and I want to pull the boat out just once.

Glenn

aquavit

Member II
I have been studying the NMEA 2000 network units as per the suggestion of Stillwater and I am really leaning in that direction. The system would be expandable in the future without adding more pods and cabling in the cockpit and in the long run, it would be cheaper because you only need to add the sensors you want, not the instrument as well. It would also free up valuable space in the cockpit. I have looked on the internet for examples of magnetic interference between the GPS unit and the compass on board but I haven't found any first hand accounts of it happening and it seems that Garmin puts the "keep away from magnetic compasses" warning in all of their current installation manuals (probably on the advice of their lawyers). I do not claim to be a brilliant navigator who can get anywhere with a compass, chart and a few simple instruments, I want a chartplotter. I guess if things go horribly wrong, I can disconnect the GPS and put it below so that the compass functions properly if there is any interference.

Having said all of that, and limiting myself to a unit no larger than the Garmin 720s, does anyone have any personal favourites among all the brands out there? One thing I don't like about the Garmin is the lack of a dedicated MOB button. You have to mark a waypoint, acknowledge that it is a MOB position and then acknowledge the desire to navigate back to that point. Too many chances for panic to cause an error. All opinions welcomed and valued at more than $.02.

Glenn

stillwater

Member II
Favorite NMEA equipment

The equipment I like so far are the Lowrance Chartplotters. They seem to offer the most for a resonable price. Although the earlier ones (possibly current also) do not display NMEA depth PGNs (sentences). They do have a dedicated MOB command. Lowrance uses NAVIONICS and Garmin uses BLUE CHARTS. I think Garmin products are very good also and I especially like the GArmin GMI 10 display. I do not have personal experience with thw Broadband Radar but it seems like the way to go. Less radiation and better resolution up close. The Maretron display is the best but pricey. It can however configure all types of sensors. (something that is crucial in some areas such as rudder indicators and AC/DC sensors) The Garmin GMI 10 is almost as good in this area. Lowrance has the best fuel level sensors, and flow sensor, for very little money. Airmar, of course, is the provider of Smart depth/speed/temp transducers. They also make a non moving part wind sensor that provides just about everything. True, Apparent, speed, baro pressure, compass, GPS, air temp etc. PBA ? model 200. The birds won't ruin it when they sit on it! If you want a depth (and other things too) readout in your stateroom add a Lowrance LMF 200 2" display for about $150. One can also add engine data to the net if desired. If you want complete readout on your computer NMEA 2000/USB bridges are made by various vendors. Maretron makes display software to display everything on a PC. This is very versatile equipment!

Dal

aquavit

Member II
Stillwater;

Do you know of anyone making marine stereo systems that will plug and play on the NMEA 2000 backbone as well? I want to put a stereo in and if I can pick up XM on the GPS and send it to the cabin stereo, why not?

Glenn

stillwater

Member II
xm weather and radio

GArmin and Lowrance both give some support to XM radio and XM weather. I know Lowrance will display XM weather on the dislay and pickup xm radio on the same antenna with output from HDS plotters to a stereo. I do not know of being able to run speaker signals over the backbone however.

Dal
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">