• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Datamarine masthead wind transducer

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I have Raymarine I60 wind instrument along with I50 knot & depth, hard wired of course. It's all been robust(knocking on wood),I really like it and it also talks nmea 2000 to my Garmin plotter with a simple STng cable adapter. It's fairly reasonable from a cost perspective as you can get the whole package ready to install for about $1200.

light24bulbs

E30+ 1984, San Juan Island, Wa
I will just add that if marine electronics goes the way of aviation electronics, we should see a lot of stuff migrating to the Ipad and leaving the specialized boxes of electronics and displays we have been buyiing, cabling and replacing, behind. Those of you who are pilots know that, in just a few years, most GA pilots are largely ignoring all the very expensive and complicated avionics in the GA aircraft and using the substantially better technology and software of the Ipad for operation, navigation and collision avoidance--the brain of an Ipad is way more capable than the chips they generally put in the boxes. Furuno did it with the radar but the other marine electronic folks are still trying to get us to buy a lot of old, weak technology in boxes that we have to jump through hoops to network with very expensive and proprietary network cables. I think all this stuff is going the way of Almond colored kitchen appliances in the near future. You really should be able to plan a trip and integrate the weather (and weather updates and warnings) and have the device steer the boat in real time, alert you to traffic and hazards and monitor the technical and engine performance of your craft. The Ipad can do that for aviation right now and it should be able to do that shortly for boats if we stop buying boxes and proprietary cables. But I just bought a bunch of marine boxes and cables--we are not there yet. FWIW.
You can get NMEA Wi-Fi adapters and then use any number of nice applications on a tablet.

Yes I've been considering this approach for displaying data. Of course, you still need instruments.

Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 Wi-Fi Boat Gateway (YDWG-02) for Yacht and Boat Network https://a.co/d/hHib4DE

There are some pretty impressive tablet software solutions out there that are pretty affordable too. I think the trouble starts to come in when you think about weatherproofing. The cockpit of a sailboat experiences quite a bit more water than the cockpit of an airplane. None of the iPads are waterproof. Perhaps some of the Samsung tablets are. It all sounds pretty good on paper but in reality my needs are really simple and what I actually need is energy efficiency, reliability, and simplicity.

Anyway, what I would really like are a reliable set of instruments.

light24bulbs

E30+ 1984, San Juan Island, Wa
I have Raymarine I60 wind instrument along with I50 knot & depth, hard wired of course. It's all been robust(knocking on wood),I really like it and it also talks nmea 2000 to my Garmin plotter with a simple STng cable adapter. It's fairly reasonable from a cost perspective as you can get the whole package ready to install for about $1200.
Finally a positive review! Sounds good, I will look at those.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
FYI: Here's the new YouTube video about the mast removal.
I enjoyed the video, thanks.

About 2 ft above the upper spreaders you have external padeyes, blocks and lines on both sides of the mast. What are those for?

I’d be curious to know how your rigger approaches replacing the odd-sized Ericson toggles that attach to the chainplate u-bolts. Several of us struggled with replacing those: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/replaced-your-ss-standing-rigging-what-did-you-do.19750/

Also curious to see if they make any recommendations regarding your Mark I furler. My Mark I works near flawlessly, but others have claimed the Mark I was recalled twice for faulty components (post # 35, below). I’ve opted to rebuild my Mark I with custom parts, but my pet theory is that pro riggers will always recommend replacing with new. I don’t think riggers want to get involved with the time consuming process of repairing old equipment, nor do they want to take the responsibility inherent in doing so. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/removing-the-forestay-with-roller-furling.19428/

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I enjoyed the video, thanks.

About 2 ft above the upper spreaders you have external padeyes, blocks and lines on both sides of the mast. What are those for?

I’d be curious to know how your rigger approaches replacing the odd-sized Ericson toggles that attach to the chainplate u-bolts. Several of us struggled with replacing those: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/replaced-your-ss-standing-rigging-what-did-you-do.19750/

Also curious to see if they make any recommendations regarding your Mark I furler. My Mark I works near flawlessly, but others have claimed the Mark I was recalled twice for faulty components (post # 35, below). I’ve opted to rebuild my Mark I with custom parts, but my pet theory is that pro riggers will always recommend replacing with new. I don’t think riggers want to get involved with the time consuming process of repairing old equipment, nor do they want to take the responsibility inherent in doing so. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/removing-the-forestay-with-roller-furling.19428/
The padeyes, blocks and lines you saw above the spreaders are part of the lazy jack setup. As for the other things the mast will not be worked on till next week, because of the Thanksgiving holiday, when the yard will get into looking over the mast, inch by inch, to give a better evaluation of what has to be replaced besides the obvious stuff like sheaves, anchor light, mast head unit, corrosion repair, etc. This sort of evaluation is best done when the mast is down and I’m sure other recommendations will be made. As for the furler, I’ve had no problems with it at all but a more complete going over may tell more.

peaman

Sustaining Member
What about this?
And then I could figure out an NMEA display or get a new chart plotter and wire the NMEA up into the pedistal.
A year ago, I installed a new NMEA2000 backbone, with the WS310 wired wind instrument at the masthead, and a Triton2 display and Zeus chart plotter at the helm, and am very happy with it. The NMEA2000 system is easily expandable, so it was a simple matter later when I wanted to install an additional Triton2 at the nav station.