• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deciding between Ericson 32-3 vs C&C Landfall 35

SoloWriter

Member I
Hi Ericson folks, I'm fairly new here, but love this forum, chock full of great info.

My wife and I are in contract on a 1987 Ericson 32-3 for $30k. We got the survey done last week, and had a couple issues pop up.

There is apparently a successful de-lam repair on foredeck just aft of anchor locker, but there were still high moisture readings in the side deck adjacent to the head port light. Decks felt extremely solid, and didn't flex at all with my 220lbs on them, so I'm not that concerned about that, if I can re-bed the portlight and stop the leak.

But the boat also has the seized shift linkage and throttle cables which have been so well documented here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e32-200-shift-cable-replacement.3497/ After the sea trial, the surveyor said he would not take it out of the slip again due to concern of them snapping underway.

After reading about the acrobatics others have performed to address this, I'd prefer not to tackle this job myself. I called some yards and got a range of $700-$3000 to address it, based on how easily the Yacht Specialties binnacle comes apart, which from the experiences listed here, seems not often.

To address that, the broker suggested putting $3k of the $30k in an escrow account to fund the repair, with any leftover going back to the seller. I said that would be fine, but while the seller initial considered it, they now are saying no and want $30k firm. The broker then said they'd be willing to throw in $1,500 of their commission to make the deal work. The seller has gone back and forth several times and doesn't seem committed to selling, and I think the broker wants to cut bait and if we don't buy it, drop the listing.

My concern is this. The boat is in fairly good shape, in that it hasn't been used very much. Engine has good compression, etc., sails are older in age but not in use, and had good shape aloft, full battens. Surveyor said unlike so many other Ericson's he's seen, this boat wasn't rode hard and put away wet. But the other way to look at it is, the boat hasn't really been rode at all, and it got wet after it was put away.

Portlights and hatches are all original and leak which rotted out teak veneer inside, mast boot/collar leaks, Barient ST winches are chunky from lack of use/maintenance, running rigging is shot, standing rigging is original and needs replacing, lifelines need replacing, cushions are original and need replacing. Only electronics are original mid 80s VHF and a GPS circa 2000 or so, so that needs updating as well. I'd also like a dodger, which the boat doesn't have. It does have a Maxprop, which was a happy surprise, and the boat backs like a champ if you can get the transmission in reverse.

Now, a 1985 C&C Landfall 35 has popped up for sale for $25k. In the last three years, it has: new sails, running rigging, lifelines, dodger, interior plumbing, interior cushions with Sunbrella, hatches, port lights rebedded, new cutlass bearing, fairly updated electronics. Sailed regularly. Standing rod rigging is likely original, and I've seen estimates of $6k to replace, but then it seems to last longer than wire rope. Issues: I'm not crazy about the idea of a cored hull below the waterline, and the rear rail is bent from an apparent collision with something. Also, it's the shoal draft version, which will likely be more tender and not ideal for West Coast winds.

I haven't been aboard the C&C and haven't surveyed it. I've only seen pics, which look clean, but you can never tell for sure, and there could well be other issues not yet apparent. I did have an in-depth conversation with the seller, and he seems to have maintained it well since buying it 3 years ago, but said the previous owner had not done the same. He's selling now because he wants a bigger, more modern boat. We will hopefully take it for sea trial next week.

On my spreadsheet, to bring the boats to comparable condition and outfitting, I'm estimating I'd be in for about $48,500 for the Ericson (with broker credit of $1,500) or $36,000 for the C&C if no other issues are discovered.

Whatever boat we choose, we'll use it for weekend sails in SF Bay. No plans on taking it to Hawaii, etc.

I would love to hear this forum's thoughts on this situation, the pros and cons of each choice and what decision you all would make in my place. Thanks.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I bought my 1987 32-3 three months ago in NJ and paid $30k. Running rigging was tired, I have same issues you describe at port lights (fairly easy fix), electronics are similar to your description. Hull and interior are in excellent condition (except as noted above). And I have a Universal M25 with less than 150 hours.

My transmission cable had same issues you describe. I wasn't keen on having to replace it, but once done, I can say it was not too difficult. I replaced the 11 foot long cable with an 8 foot one which fits like it should and works perfectly. I can provide details, if needed. I should note that with my 5'6, 150# frame, the job may have been easier for me than it will be for you.

Before settling on the Ericson, I considered the Landfall boats, which have some good characteristics. Some points, though minor, that influenced my decision: direct drive prop versus V-drive, traveler out of the cockpit, interior styling, and that sexy reverse transom.

Good luck whatever your decision.

SoloWriter

Member I
Peaman,

Thanks for sharing, one thing I like about the Ericson is how consistent the repairs and jobs seem to be across different boats -- and the responsiveness and details on this forum.

My main worry with the binnacle is the SS bolts being corroded and welding together to the aluminum binnacle. A mechanic I talked to said drilling out the bolts would add a 1/2 day of labor minimum. Did you have any of those issues?

As far as the work below, I'm 6'1" and 220#, so I'll either need to bribe my buddy who's your size with some home brews to get down in there for me, pay up for a pro to do it, or go on a crash keto diet.

peaman

Sustaining Member
My main worry with the binnacle is the SS bolts being corroded and welding together to the aluminum binnacle. A mechanic I talked to said drilling out the bolts would add a 1/2 day of labor minimum. Did you have any of those issues?
I was aware of that potential going in. Fortunately, I have lots of experience in screwing up with stubborn bolts. Most important point is to never, ever let the screwdriver, or wrench, or what-have-you slip the first time. So that requires a good-fitting tool, and usually, considerable pressure to keep the tool engaged with the fastener while torque is increased. My bolts did resist, but not so much as to require extreme measures.

During reassembly, be sure to clean up all bolts, and if necessary, threaded holes as well, and then apply Tef-gel or your choice of anti-sieze.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
SoloWriter: You are comparing a sailboat with a survey and one without, assuming nothing negative will show up on the one without the survey plus not having been on the boat..... and have a contract on the one with the survey and questioning about thoughts on the situation. Guess I am a bit confused?

If it were me I would back out of the deal with the sized shift linkage and let the seller squirm (he will) until he agrees to absorb a goodly part of the cost thereof. I think it will be difficult to sell a powered sailboat with a sized shift linkage until it is fixed or sell price lowered to fix it. This is a major problem for the seller to say the least. Just my thoughts.

peaman

Sustaining Member
"seized shift linkage"
That sounds a lot worse than a sticky shift cable, but it is a really good point. Until the shift cable is disconnected, it is not possible to say whether the problem is in the cable or the transmission. That was a question that made me sweat until I got to that point and found that the (very new) transmission shifted very easily.

Proceeding as 1911tex suggests may be a better way, depending on your taste for risk.

SoloWriter

Member I
Apologies if it was unclear, we are pretty sure the issue is a cable, and not the transmission itself. The engine was fine once in gear, it was just getting it in and out that seemed dicey.

To 1911tex's point, yes, I know the comparison between a surveyed boat and one we haven't seen isn't ideal.

I guess I'm wondering about deciding between a C&C that has been brought most of the way back to shipshape, and an Ericson that has a longer way to go.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Couple of quick thoughts, in no particular order...

-- lines, sails, covers, even interior upholstery are, to some extent, "consumables". They have to be replaced from time to time. While a boat with fresh stuff might have less impact on the update list now, it doesn't mean the cost goes away, it just makes it into a "not yet". Nobody ever gets to the bottom of their project list on a sailboat...

-- As Tex says above, comparing a surveyed boat to one that hasn't (yet) been surveyed is a bit of apples and oranges. You don't know, at this point, what you don't know about the Landfall.

-- adding to that, at some level is that - if you're under contract on the Ericson, the immediate choice isn't between the Ericson or the Landfall.... the choice is to go forward with the Ericson or NOT go forward with the Ericson. Only in that second case does the Landfall (or something else) come into the picture.

-- It's worth noting that the Ericson and the Landfall are pretty different boats. Which might serve your sailing interests differently. The 32-III displaces about 9500 lbs, sails like a dream, with a big roomy cockpit. The Landfall displaces about 13,000 lbs, with roughly the same sail area, so it's probably not going to be as lively to sail, but has a roomier interior and (likely) more usable storage space.

-- having said all that.... c'mon, this is the Ericson forums... the Ericson is a no-brainer! (grin)

-- and, whichever boat you decide on, that keto idea is a good one. I did it and, besides being able to get into places on the boat I never though I could, it's immeasurably improved life off the boat, too.

$.02
Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In my opinion, and Ericson era boat cannot be maintained by a boatyard--you have to do everything possible yourself. And there will be a lot of it, permanently, with any 30-year-old boat. Repairs are $100 labor per hour, which kills the deal. Anybody with interest and time can fix the control cables, even in a worst-case scenario. In fact, anybody can do most of the stuff the members here do).

Portlights and hatches are all original and leak which rotted out teak veneer inside, mast boot/collar leaks, Barient ST winches are chunky from lack of use/maintenance, running rigging is shot, standing rigging is original and needs replacing, lifelines need replacing, cushions are original and need replacing. Only electronics are original mid 80s VHF and a GPS circa 2000. [and the sails are no good]

I wouldn't pay $30K for that. Unless, uh, well -- a good boat is hard to find and the Ericson 32-3 is a good boat.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I wouldn't pay $30K for that. Unless, uh, well -- a good boat is hard to find and the Ericson 32-3 is a good boat.
I had a hunch that I was paying as much as $5k more than my boat was "worth" (whatever that means), based on lots of looking, but I was happy to do it at the time, and perfectly satisfied with my decision now.

SoloWriter

Member I
Couple of quick thoughts, in no particular order...

-- lines, sails, covers, even interior upholstery are, to some extent, "consumables". They have to be replaced from time to time. While a boat with fresh stuff might have less impact on the update list now, it doesn't mean the cost goes away, it just makes it into a "not yet". Nobody ever gets to the bottom of their project list on a sailboat..
Agreed. Great point. I guess it's just nice to start off closer to those items having been replaced than not.
-- It's worth noting that the Ericson and the Landfall are pretty different boats. Which might serve your sailing interests differently. The 32-III displaces about 9500 lbs, sails like a dream, with a big roomy cockpit. The Landfall displaces about 13,000 lbs, with roughly the same sail area, so it's probably not going to be as lively to sail, but has a roomier interior and (likely) more usable storage space.
I actually hadn't considered the difference in displacement, thank you. Heavier may be better in SF Bay, we routinely get 25+ in summer.

SoloWriter

Member I
In my opinion, and Ericson era boat cannot be maintained by a boatyard--you have to do everything possible yourself. And there will be a lot of it, permanently, with any 30-year-old boat. Repairs are $100 labor per hour, which kills the deal. Anybody with interest and time can fix the control cables, even in a worst-case scenario. In fact, anybody can do most of the stuff the members here do).
Hi Christian, I was hoping you would reply, thanks -- I loved the Hawaii and back video.This is a very good point, and I'm definitely not afraid to tackle these jobs. I would just rather not if I can get it addressed before the sale is finalized. One of the things that makes me lean toward the Ericson is the breadth of knowledge available in this owners group for all kinds of jobs, which invariably come up when you own a boat. The C&C group (http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/) doesn't seem to be as deep on that front, or maybe I just haven't figured out how to navigate it yet.

Portlights and hatches are all original and leak which rotted out teak veneer inside, mast boot/collar leaks, Barient ST winches are chunky from lack of use/maintenance, running rigging is shot, standing rigging is original and needs replacing, lifelines need replacing, cushions are original and need replacing. Only electronics are original mid 80s VHF and a GPS circa 2000. [and the sails are no good]

The bones do appear good, and good boats are hard to come by in SF Bay right now. My list of to dos, however, could quickly add up to $15k, doing all the work myself. In terms of comps for similar year and model that have sold recently, $30k is within $1,500 of the average, so if I got the $1,500 broker's credit, it would be spot on.

SoloWriter

Member I
I had a hunch that I was paying as much as $5k more than my boat was "worth" (whatever that means), based on lots of looking, but I was happy to do it at the time, and perfectly satisfied with my decision now.
It is a nice looking boat! Based on the comps I've seen over the past 6 months, $30k seems to be within 5% +/- of most recorded sales, at least according to the ones I was able to access through the broker. I don't know if the screen they used was somehow limited to come to that number in the first place, but it also seems to be near where YachtBuddha lists these boats currently.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe it's just me, but..... Seems like the two referenced boats are way too far apart in size, for a really valid comparison. Far better to compare with an Ericson 35-2 or 35-3, or an Ericson 34-2.
And, IF the C&C does have a V drive, that would give me serious pause about it. Lots of great boats have those, and they do increase the room in the main cabin, but that tradeoff brings maintenance and complication down the road. Thirty plus years later, we are pretty far along that 'road'.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Reply #2: that Ericson 35-2 that just appeared in our sale forum sounds like an unusually well equipped one.
Seriously.

Buy it and spend summer vacation sailing down the coast to California.
The US dollar has been very strong against the CN$ recently..... !
:egrin:

SoloWriter

Member I
Maybe it's just me, but..... Seems like the two referenced boats are way too far apart in size, for a really valid comparison. Far better to compare with an Ericson 35-2 or 35-3, or an Ericson 34-2.
And, IF the C&C does have a V drive, that would give me serious pause about it. Lots of great boats have those, and they do increase the room in the main cabin, but that tradeoff brings maintenance and complication down the road. Thirty plus years later, we are pretty far along that 'road'.
Hi Loren, Yeah, that's another great point. Engine access does seem to be an issue in the C&C -- the current owner said he removed the hot water heater in order to be able to service the impeller. I'm also not crazy about the V drive, just seems like you're introducing a lot of friction and inefficiency simply to get the motor further back in the boat.

As far as deciding between different Ericson models, I wish I could! Finding good, clean boats at a reasonable price point in Nor Cal right now is tough. I've seen a couple 35's advertised, but they have not been in as good shape as the 32-3 we're considering now. Joe

peaman

Sustaining Member
As far as deciding between different Ericson models, I wish I could! Finding good, clean boats at a reasonable price point in Nor Cal right now is tough. I've seen a couple 35's advertised, but they have not been in as good shape as the 32-3 we're considering now. Joe
Here's the one Loren mentioned: 1974 35-II

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Apples and oranges - aside from the lack of survey on one of them.
$30K seems perfectly reasonable for a well-kept 32-3, even including replacement of the cables. On the surface of it (without survey), $25K seems pretty good for the Landfall too. Both are going to have issues that need repair and replacement - how much you spend on that depends how soon you want to sailing compared to living in the boatyard. If you're calculating a $48K cost for post-purchase repairs, etc, you should definitely not be buying a 25-30K boat. Instead, you should be buying a boat for about $75K (~$48K + ~25K) that passes survey in all meaningful respects.
I think that after doing more searching, and gathering experience on asking prices vs. condition and build quality/features, you'll know when a boat pops up that you should definitely jump at.
Good Luck!