• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deciding between Ericson 32-3 vs C&C Landfall 35

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . shift cable . . . deck sponge . . . "Portlights and hatches are all original and leak which rotted out teak veneer inside, mast boot/collar leaks, Barient ST winches are chunky from lack of use/maintenance, running rigging is shot, standing rigging is original and needs replacing, lifelines need replacing, cushions are original and need replacing. Only electronics are original mid 80s VHF and a GPS circa 2000 or so, so that needs updating as well. I'd also like a dodger, which the boat doesn't have."
Hi Solo,
Based on our experience dealing with similar conditions on an '86 E35-3, your estimate to deal with the issues is probably shy $5K-$10K. We are doing much of the work ourselves. Good luck finding the best boat for you!!
Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Back to comparing Ericson 32-3 with C&C 35 Landfall. One of the club members passed and the Landfall went on the market. I walked over and drooled over Landfall's hefty anchor roller and her electrical windlass and wondered why Ericson did not have better anchor setup. Was it because it was a west coast designed boats and you guys don't anchor often?
A friend of mine at the club has a Landfall 35. Heavy boat with less performance than a similar Ericson. Note that it will not have the performance potential of the 'regular' C&C designs.
That's my take on it. And then there is the plus and minus of having a V Drive.

A good friend has an E-38-200 with an owner-installed windlass; and likes it.
In general.... What with the added weight in the bow for a windlass and the inevitable pile of chain that goes with it, this will slow down most boats... but less effect on the overall heavier vessel.
This compromise gets talked about often in the NW, when gearing up for anchoring, when cruising up towards Alaska waters where you need a 'Rochna" or similar anchor for rock and kelp bottoms.
The other problem with this comparison is that it's apples to oranges. An E-32 is a smaller boat. Now if you park an E-35-3 beside the C&C, you would have a more fair 'horse race'.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I looked at a Landfall up here about a year and a half ago. I hadn't heard of the line but learned that it's a 'beefed up' C&C with voyaging in mind VS cruising.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
A
A friend of mine at the club has a Landfall 35. Heavy boat with less performance than a similar Ericson. Note that it will not have the performance potential of the 'regular' C&C designs.
That's my take on it. And then there is the plus and minus of having a V Drive.

A good friend has an E-38-200 with an owner-installed windlass; and likes it.
In general.... What with the added weight in the bow for a windlass and the inevitable pile of chain that goes with it, this will slow down most boats... but less effect on the overall heavier vessel.
This compromise gets talked about often in the NW, when gearing up for anchoring, when cruising up towards Alaska waters where you need a 'Rochna" or similar anchor for rock and kelp bottoms.
The other problem with this comparison is that it's apples to oranges. An E-32 is a smaller boat. Now if you park an E-35-3 beside the C&C, you would have a more fair 'horse race'.
The Ericson 32-3 does have the disadvantage of not having a great anchor setup in as much as if you want to add a windlass then extensive modifications need to be made. I’ve been struggling with this for years especially since I’m an “older” sailor. But neither do I want to take on the task of modifying my anchor locker for an electric windlass. I know it’s been done by a sailor on this site, and I apologize for not remembering his name or having his very informative description of what he did at hand. I finally decided to install a Lofran Royal manual windlass, on a 2” block of teak, just behind the anchor locker door. I’ve seen this done before on other boats where as the chain comes off the wildcat it’s kicked into the locker. I also have a rope/chain rode so the capstan on the other side of the Royal can help too if needed. Since I don’t anchor that much having a manual windlass without the bother of wiring up a motor and the reliability of a manual windlass seem like the best solution of a E32-3. Also I noticed that a fair number of ocean cruisers use a manual windlass.

Other then the anchor locker short coming on an E32-3 I’ve found the boat exceptionally easy to handle and we often pull ahead of other boats in the bay. Now that can be because of sail handling but I think it’s also because the E32-3 is a fast boat for it’s size.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
My experience (in my 2nd year of ownership). However good the condition of the boat appears, be prepared to spend at least 15-20K in the first year. So if your boat costs 30K, your budget should be 45K. Also since we live in the Bay Area, you have to consider the “Bay Area tax”. Everything in this area in terms of services cost at least as twice as much as in other areas. (Newport Beach excluded - they are even more expensive than the bay area). I try to do some of the work myself, but I have hired people to do some of the rigging tasks, service the diesel etc. Good luck with your purchase. Hope to see you in out on the bay !