• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Demasting E25

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
A couple of people asked me to tell of my demasting expierence last year. Its kinda long and a story that you really dont like to relive. I hope this might help out someone out in the future.

This happened on Sept 15th last year. Last spring I decided that I was just going to replace all of the standing rigging since my mast was already down for the winter and I was doing some work on my centerboard. I sent in all my rigging into West Marine and had them duplicate it, but also beef it up from 5/32 to 3/16 wire. Having a bare mast I thought it would be a good time to rewire all the electrical wiring inside of the mast too. I also inspected every screw and rivet on the mast too. I was amazed at how many screws that needed tightening. The new rigging came back from West Marine and it all looked just beautiful. It really gave me a sense of security knowing that all of it was new. I was always afraid of the forestay because I really not could inspect it because it was inside of the Harken foils and attached inside of the lower drum.

When the time came to attach all the new rigging all went very smoothly. We raised the mast and attached all the stays to their proper plates. Nothing in my life has gone as smoothly as this. I then tuned the rig to just general specs. I'm not a racer so there was no over-tightening or added pre-bend. Just your typical standing Ericson telephone pole.

Last summers plans were very simple, just sail my ass off. I was not going to do anything with the boat other than clean it and make sure it was properly stocked with cold adult beverages. True to my intentions I sailed a ton of miles and hours and really enjoyed the summer. I was having a blast.

I normally keep the boat in the water till mid October, fall provides some of the finest days out on the lake with minimal boat traffic. It was a nice day with winds steadily blowing out of the southwest at about 10 mph. So I set out for a nice 3-4 hour cruise straight south with only the headsail out and on autopilot. I ran on just a beautiful port tack for a couple of hours and just enjoyed the sights the sun and some tunes. I came about and went on a nice reach to the northeast. The clouds began to roll in and the wind began to pick up. It was going to be a fast sled ride back up north. On my run the wind began to clock northerly and the waves began to build. At this point the wind was blowing in the mid to upper teens and I decided to reduce my headsail. It was still a very pleasant sail but now with a little bit more spunk. I continued heading northeast till I sailed past the bay that I needed to enter to dock the boat. I had no deadlines or commitments to meet all I wanted was an easy in without pinching to make my port. At this point I saw that I could easily do this so I sent a heading into the autopilot to gybe to a westerly heading. The boat responded and came around. We began the port tack and I grabbed the winch handle to bring in the headsail. I started cranking on the winch flattening the sail out with my back to the starboard side of the boat. It was then that I heard a strange noise, defiantly metal related. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the spreader separate from the mast and then a popping sound, similar to the noise that is made my snapping rubberbands. Then as fast as you can imagine all the sails and rigging was in the water off the portside. The first thought that went thru my mind was WOW, did that really just happen!!! I actually broke out in laughter, strange but true. Then reality began to set in, here I was 3 miles offshore with all this crap hanging over the side of the boat. I looked at the mess that was strewn all about and hanging over the side of the boat feeling helpless. So I looked at what had to be done to get all this crap back up on deck. The top half of the mast was nowhere to be seen, but it was still attached by the mangled furler foil and other stays. I just started pulling wires until I raised the second part of my now masts. Using brute strength and various lines and the winches I was able to get everything back on top. I did consider disconnecting everything and tying a fender to mark the location and come back with some others to help. But for some reason that just did not seem to be the right thing to do. It took me about an hour to get everything on board. I was sore and beginning to feel humiliated, but very happy that I was not injured. I finally sat down and relaxed and grabbed a beer and a smoke. I then fired up the motor to begin the cruise of shame back into the marina. I was praying that no one would be there to see my tangled mess. As I entered the marina I could only see 2 cars in the lot, both of my sailing buddies. I was going to have to relive this story immediately, just what I didn't really want to do, but that's life.

The next morning I woke up feeling like my body was one complete sore bruise! I pinched myself to see if it was a dream, but nope it hurt. I then went down to the marina and began sorting out the tangled mess. Knowing that I had only had liability insurance I wanted to be careful to save as much as possible. I slowly pulled things off piece by piece, wire by wire. I first took off the boom with the main sail and cover off. Then I disconnected the top of the furler at the masthead and pulled off the headsail with all the broken foils. I pulled the sail off the foils and to my amazement there was not a single tear in the sail at all!! Then I disconnected all the stays and removed my two masts. Then disconnecting all the stays off the masts and coiling them up into a neat circle. Here I found the starboard spreader hanging by the boot and the monel wire holding it to the outer stay. The port spreader broke as I pulled the rigging back aboard. I was pretty sure that this was the place of failure.

After sorting out all the pieces of the puzzle I realized that I still had two working sails and the boom. I had the stays all inspected by a surveyor and they were all ok, except the forestay. I was going to need to get some new parts for my furler and a new mast. That's where I talked to a friend I met online who is a professional rigger. He said there was a chance that my mast could be spliced/sleeved and I would not have to purchase another one. Since my mast broke right at the spreader he felt that this was applicable, but I would lose a little bit of height. I was apprehensive at first till he showed me pictures of brand new boats that come with spliced/sleeved mast right from the manufacturer. My friend asked me to send him a 3" cross section of the mast so he could build me an internal sleeve. I then took the sleeve to my local sail boat guy and we followed the riggers exact instructions. The sleeve was epoxied and and rivited into place. I lost a total of 7" of mast height, I had to shorten all the stays with Hayn Hi-Mod compression studs and purchased new foiled spreaders and mounts from Dywer Spars and various parts from Harken. I needed to shorten the headsail by the sailmaker, but had plenty of clearance below the boom to give the height adjustment. The total cost to put it all back together was a little over $500. I tried to document this whole process with pictures and other means so as to potentially help others in the future that this might happen to.

I know some people would not have gone about this repair the way I did, but I felt this was the way I had to go. Im not really sure if I could have prevented this, just bad luck. Im joyful to have it all back together and Im foremost happy that it ended up a good story instead of sad story. By no means do I want to see anybody go through what I did, but I happy that it all turned out.

Attachments

• Mast Pictures 004.jpg
    Mast Pictures 004.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Mast Pictures 001.jpg
    Mast Pictures 001.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Mast Pictures 005.jpg
    Mast Pictures 005.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 86

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Glad you were not hurt Rob. I think you did a great job reassembling teh rig. Especially for $500. Any idea where the failure happened? You mention the spreader but what about the spreader failed?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
I believe that as I inspected the mast and tightened many screws in the spring. I might have over tightened the bolts that hold the cast spreader bracket mounts. To the best of my knowledge the spreader mount cracked and failed and the spreader fell off the mast as I was winching in the headsail. With no support on top at the masthead and support on the lowers inches below the spreader, something had to give. This all happened in seconds!!!

John Cyr

Member II
This story may help me!

Wow, Your story may help me out (on one of my problems anyway, see other post) I am calling the rig shop now!

Thanx!

John:egrin:

Emerald

Hi,

Very happy to hear you escape without injury. Everything else is secondary even if a PIA.

Did you have compression sleeves on the bolts that held the spreader brackets in place?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Did you have compression sleeves on the bolts that held the spreader brackets in place?

Yes, there was compression sleeves thru the spar. If you are familiar with the mounts they are cast and have a "brittle" feel to them.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Lesson...

Might have helped to have had some main up for more mast support, but either way, this should not have happened..
Sorry to hear of your bad day, Rob!

Cheers,
S

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
Sorry to hear about that Rob. 5 bones to repair a broken mast - I might call you for all my boat purchase needs :)

Hmmm.... took my mast down last year - still haven't splashed. Thinkin' I should look over that mast again...

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
I think the cost to rebuid a mast for a E36 might be a little bit more than my 25. In a lucky way I was able to save a lot of things off the old rig. The next time I have such an unlucky event it might not turn out inexpensive.

I purchased new spreaders and mounts from Dwyers Spars for $150. I got replacement swageless rigging studs made by Hayn from Rigging Only for $80. I drove down to Pewaukee to Harken to pick up the foils and various parts to repair the furler for $200. I sent out the mangled forestay to West Marine Rigging and had it replaced for $70. The rest of the things needed to sleeve the mast are just your normal boat maintenence items and tools that most have in their basements, i.e West Systems, rivots, sawzall, grinders.

Trust me, I would have loved to replace everything with brand new equipment, but my money tree is not bearing too much extra fruit these days. I hope I never have to go through this again, but I will say it was fun project to do this past winter.

Last edited:

wolly bugger

Member II
Glad you did not get hurt. After I read your story I ran to my boat to inspect my spreaders. One of them don't seem to be in the best shape. I think I should replace them soon. What do you think of the one you got from dwyers spars? The price seems right.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
The spreaders and mounts that I purchased from Dwyers seem to be robust and sturdy. I always thought the cast mounts were fragile and suspect to failure, but remember mine lasted 35 years. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, after seeing the mounts from Dwyers and their construction. I would have replaced the old cast mounts years ago. I would take an old mount to a machine shop that works with stainless and have one built to accomadate the old spreader and use the existing holes.

Attachments

• winter pictures 033.jpg
    winter pictures 033.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Brisdon

Inactive Member
If a mast fails at the spreader, it's usually because the aluminum has been bent back and forth at that point many times until it was adequately fractured to break clean into two pieces. Sounds like your rig was out of tune for some time so that the lower section of the mast was secure and the section above the spreader was being allowed to bend back and forth at the spreader where it finally fractured through. Tight lower and intermediate shrouds combined with loose upper shrouds, will break a stick just like that.

sleather

Sustaining Member
I always thought the cast mounts were fragile and suspect to failure, but remember mine lasted 35 years.

YIKES Rob, Quite the ordeal :eek: I've been center stage on two dismastings(stay failures) and glad to hear you weren't hurt. Love the creativity in salvaging the rig.;)

Time to check out my cast fittings and maybe add a pin thru the middle of the castings in case those pesky cast "ears" decide to break off.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
The shrouds don't put any kind of a twisting load on the spreaders, so those brackets really don't have to work very hard. The points where the shrouds contact the spreaders want to stay in the same plane with the masthead above and the chain plates below. so the load on the spreaders is directly perpendicular to the boat. The spreaders punch straight in to the side of the stick. They don't push forward or backward or up or down. I think it is more likely that the spreader tab snapped off after the mast broke. In that case the the tip of the spreader would be forced to seek the new plane between the mast head and the chain plate. Because the mast head was in motion, the tip of the spreader would travel in a corresponding arc which would add a sideways tearing motion to the tab holding the spreader to the mast. The leward spreader wouldn't be put through the same rigger because that shroud would be relieved of it's load as the rig collapsed. It could still be torn off as it hit the water, but I bet it would be bent up or down rather than sideways.

It just seems more likely that the broken spreader attachment was secondary to the break in the stick. Do you recall anything about what kind of tune was the rig in when this happened? Were the leward shrouds bagging at all?