• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dermac Backstay Adjuster

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Anyone have a Dermac mechanical backstay adjuster on a late-80's 32'-38'?

s-l1600.jpg

It can't connect directly to the chainplate because of interference between the handles and the stern railing. So, I want to see how people extended it upward to fit between (or above) the railings.

Also, since my backstay will have to be shortened anyway (I will replace with new), do I still need a turnbuckle? Seem like the Dermac itself would be the only required tensioner if the backstay is made the proper length.

Any photos? Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, the hydraulic BS adjuster on the O-34, was built out with a short approx 2 foot link below the adjuster. EY used a piece of Navtec rod for this, and a piece of SS rig wire will do just as well. On our boats that puts the adjuster up right behind the stern lifeline.

Perhaps something to consider.
Visible in this picture: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/media/o-34-at-pt-angeles.14551/

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren. So no turnbuckle on the backstay then?
Actually there is a turn buckle, on top of the fancy hydraulic cylinder.
The factory put on, stock, a Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster on the Olson's and on some Ericson's. When we built the first new standing rig, we spec'd out the new stay short enough to have a turn buckle on top of the pump-up hydraulic unit. I also replaced the OEM Navtec unit when a rebuild did not hold up. The replacement adjuster is from Sail Tec, and is working fine after well over a decade.

The length of the stay was sized a bit shorter so that we can barely get the pin thru bottom jaw with the turn buckle at full extension. Then it gets snugged up tight. The hydraulic unit is normally unloaded when parked, and we bring it up to 1000+ for sailing, and/or more for pointing ability on a windy day.
This setup allows the stay to be fully tensioned with the turnbuckle alone even if the hydraulic unit loses a seal or oil while we are out cruising or otherwise sailing when it's not convenient to send it out for a rebuild.