• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Diesel fuel in the bilge

jmilanette

In doing my spring clean-up in my 1983 E-28+ I found that what I thought was a small amount of spilled engine oil in the bilge turns out to definitely be diesel fuel (the odor is a dead give-away). There is no oil in the engine compartment beside some that I had previously spilled, and thought I had cleaned up sufficiently. Can diesel in the bilges be anything beside a leaking fuel tank? BTW, the engine compartment is dry and clean. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to check this out further (and cost effectively)? I understand it may not be a lot of oil, as it floats on top of the water and there's some dilution, but I pumped about two gallons out of the bilges yesterday and at least a quart of that was oil. This boat is on the hard and I think it will stay there until I have this figured out, but am at a loss as to the next step.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
If your boat uses the "Structural Grid", its possible for fuel/oil to get trapped in there. When we bought our boat the engine had a moderate oil leak, which I promptly took care of, and the vent line on the diesel tank did not have an adequate hose clamp which caused some leakage as well, but only when the tank was full or being sloshed around. I was still finding little bits of oil in the bilge a full year later, and am only recently really oil free.

But unfortunately more than one boat of yours (and ours) vintage have developed pinhole link in their tanks.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Drain the fuel tank next. It is probably due for a cleaning anyhow. If there is no inspection port, install one. Take the old diesel and put it in your oil tank at home or give it to someone who has one. Clean and dry the tank thoroughly. Remove the support for the tank and check underneath for the leak.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Diesel leaks

On my 87 E-34 I've had two diesel leaks that were not from the tank. The first was the copper fuel line from the tank to the primary filter. It chafed through where it went through the bulkhead. The second was the 1 1/2" diesel fill hose that split where it made a small radius U turn to get onto the tank fitting.

Yours could be lots of places besides the tank that can be easily checked out before you start sucking fuel out of the tank.

jthistle

Member II
Diesel - return line

If you've run your engine lately it could be the return line. I made a real mess when my return line leaked and created an ecological disaster in my bilge. Good luck with it.

JT