• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dinghy Outboards

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I'm sourcing a 6hp motor for my dinghy and am wondering if anyone has any good advice or horror stories. Looks like new I could pay 1200-1500 for a Merc, Evinrude, Johnson, Nissan tohatsu suzuki etc... Hoping to get done around 500-700 used and seeing a lot on Ebay. Any brands to avoid and why?

JMS

Member II
I have had really good experiences (luck? :)) with the small Nissan/Tohatsu outboards & highly recommend them. That said, I think any brand motor that has been taken care of would be fine.

It looks like under-10HP 2-strokes—especially the N/T 3.5HP—in good condition are becoming a hot commodity.

jkm

Member III
Ted

I use a 2 hp honda only because it weighs 27 lbs.

But I recently came into a 9.8 Tohatsu and was very impressed by it's quality.
It's Japanese made and identical to the Suzuki, I think.

It weighed too much for me, but I did use it for a few months and it was very easy to start and smooth operating.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am currently using an 8hp Mariner from 1986. Its older but was in storage for 12years so its in pretty good shape. One of the issues appears to be ethanol gasoline in older motors. The ethanol can attack carbuator parts and cause trouble. Thats what happened to me at the end of the season. The Mariner runs extremely strong but started giving trouble/hard starting due to a sticking carburetor needle. The needle tip is rubber and started sticking shut if left for a week or so. I had the carb rebuilt but there is no guarantee that it won't happen again. No one could be sure if the new parts were "ethanol resistant" or not. The recommended solution was to unplug the fuel line and run the motor a bit when leaving it for an extended period. Just having the carburetor float sit lower will keep the needle from being seated and getting stuck, the theory goes. Whoever thought up ethanol and had the bright idea to use it as a fuel should have to pay for the havoc it is causing. I hope it works as I will be very pissed if my Mariner is dead due to this.

Rant off....

Tohatsu is Nissan last time I checked. Yamaha seems to have the best product but its usually one of the most expensive. As much as I like the simplicity of a 2-cycle the newer 4-cycles make more sense with the advent of ethanol fuel. I am thinking of Ebay'ing the Mariner and getting a 5hp Yamaha. RT

jkm

Member III
Rob

You're right about the Tohatsu and Nissan connection, my mistake.

The outboard guy in Marina Del Rey raves about the new Mercury line, which he sells, along with Tohatsu and Suzuki.

The four strokes are the only way to go. 5hp is the ideal size, but I just can't get over the weight of the 2hp honda (27 pounds). Some day I figure that's all I'll be able to carry, along with a few bottles of wine.

Course I'm still undecided about a new tender. In my research I discovered a nice aluminum dingy built by Sears, designed by Phil Rhoades (one of the more colorful characters I've ever had a drink(ssss) with).

John

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yamaha!

Don't forget about Yamaha. The Coast Guard uses two of the big 225 4 strokes on their pursuit boats here in So Cal. That's good enough for me. I have a 2002 4 hp / 4 stroke that has never had a problem. Very easy to maintain and always starts on no more than 3 pulls. Pushes my 8'6" Achilles with the inflatable keel at about 12 to 15 knots with one person. It has a built in reserve tank that holds about an hours worth of fuel as well. I have the long shaft so that I can use it as a back up for my E-27.

I'm looking for exactly the same thing. My Seaworthy 8'6" inflatable is rated up to 8hp but I figured a 4 or 5hp would be the most managable. Cost is a big deal to me and I can't seem to find a used outboard for a decent price. I noted the other day that Briggs and Stratton has a 5hp 4stroke outboard for sale that you can find online for around $700 brand new and no shipping costs. Has anyone tried this one? It says for freshwater use only, but who knows. For the record I'm on freshwater anyway for the time being.

Thoughts?

vbenn

Member III
outboards

I previously owned a mid-80s Mariner 8HP. It was light and powerful enough to drive my Achilles SPD-4 to plane. The design was simple and it was well-made.

2 yrs ago, I was in the market for another 8 HP motor (having sold the Mariner and Achilles 5 yrs ago). I settled on the same motor, always made by Yamaha, but now bearing the Yamaha marque. Although it's the same 2-stroke, 8 HP motor, many of the parts are now plastic and Yamaha no longer supplies the minor tool kit. The motor still weighs in at under 60 lbs. The plastic parts turned out to be a big mistake, IMHO, because I broke the plastic gear shift lever the very first day I used it. It was not covered under warranty and cost $100 to replace.

Vince Benn

joerun26

Member II
Dinghy Outboard

I also downsized this year. Sold my 10'+ Avon and 9HP Yamaha 2 stroke and purchased a smaller lighter Zodiac. I comprised on the quality (IMO) based on my limited use. The Zodiac also doesn't have an inflatable keel, but none the less .. The Zodiac will fold up easily and only weights 42 lbs making it a breeze to carry on board. I'm interested in the 2hp honda (primarily due to the light weight), and was wondering if anyone with the honda would care to comment on its performance.
thanks,
joe
35-3 "Tenacious"

jkm

Member III
Joe

For a basic unit it is fine at 27 lbs. It has a centrifugal clutch which I don't like, but again I use it infrequently.

I would seriously look at another 2 hp with a direct drive because you'lll have better control when approaching a dock or the boat.

John

Steve Swann

Member III
4 Strokes, 2 Strokes, Weight & Convenience

I use a new Yamaha 4 stroke 4 hp. For me, it was the best compromise of power and weight. It also has a small built-in fuel tank for short trips with the ability to hook up to a remote tank if I choose to go for the day. I don't have to mix oil with this motor - which is a plus, but the 4-strokes weigh quite a bit more than the 2's. I think the EPA will eliminate 2 strokes soon and we'll all have to be using 4 strokes.

A R.I.B. is good to have if you want the high horsepower and want to plane. With a soft bottomed boat (rolls up/less space), I don't think the highest hp ratings are worth it, so we compromised with a 4 hp. motor that works on both our 6' and 9' dinghies. We don't boogie too fast, but then I am not carrying what I consider excessive weight on deck with my combination.

Each sailboat is different, each Captain's needs are different. So, you pays your money, you takes your choice. All in all, there are a lot of compromises to work through.

JMS

Member II
Had a 2hp Honda 4S and I was a bit disappointed. I replaced it with a 3.5hp Tohatsu and was much happier. The Tohatsu has a lot more oomph, is easier to physically handle and may even be a tad quieter than the Honda.

If I was in the market again for a small OB I would probably look at the new 3.5hp 4S Mercury which weighs 37 lbs. (nine pounds more than the Honda or Tohatsu). Plus those Darth Vader black motors always look cool. :)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I previously owned a mid-80s Mariner 8HP. It was light and powerful enough to drive my Achilles SPD-4 to plane. The design was simple and it was well-made.

You just described MY dinghy! I am still impressed by the quality of the Achilles. Even though its a '86 its still going strong. The Mariner will plane it easily even with 3 on board. RT

jkm

Member III
Even when I was akid in Maine I always thought the Mercury outboards were way cool.

I think if I got rid of the honda I'd get a Mercury 3.5

I had a Tohatsu 9.8 for a few months and it put my inflatable up on an instant plane, though I was on a Boston Whaler.

John

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Looking at a Nissan 8hp now. May be a bit big though. I plan on a 9 1/2' inflateable to replace the 8 1/2' one I have now that it too small for the family. Plan on using a purchase system off the end of the boom to get the motor on and off the dinghy. I thought about a crane setup but they are pricey if I buy and would cost a lot of beer if I had my fab buddy make. It would also be one more thing to store. I figure the 8hp Nissan will probably weigh 75lbs?

Mike V

I purchased a brand new 2006 9.8hp last year for $1550 from a small Tohatsu dealer and i am very happy with it. It weighs more that the comparable 2 stroke, but it is very good on gas, starts right up and no mixing gas with oil / no mess. I can bring my inflatable dinghy up on a plane with ease (one adult and two kids). It may have already been mentioned but most of the small 4 stroke Mercury engines are Tohatsu under the hood as well. Most of the Mercury engines here in CT were priced considerably higher than the Tohatsu too.

Ernest

Member II
Dingy Outboards

Best place to buy Nissan and Tohatsu outboards is from Portaboat. You can find them on the web. I just bought my second one (this week) from them. They will deliver a Tohatsu 4 cycle, 3 HP long shaft anywhere in the US for about $865. Difficult to beat. Ernie

joerun26

Member II
Dinghy Ouboard

Thanks for the input on the Honda 2hp. I ended up going with the Yamaha 2.5 HP 4 stroke. I was very satisfied with my previous Yamaha and thought I would give the smaller version a try. It has some nice features and did fine on the water this past weekend. It weighs in at 37 lbs. Has anyone come across an innovative method of lowering the motor from the stern rail (motor lift - or davit). I'm interested in something removable that functions well. I came across a "motor mate" but was hoping to find something for less $$ (it cost around 325).
Thanks as always..
joe
"Tenacious"
35-III

jkm

Member III
Joe

Glad you passed on the Honda. It's only saving grace is the weight.

I have some Davits on my stern that I use for my dink-once in the water I just lift the motor off the rail mount. I suspect you'd be ok, but tie a rope around it so it doesn't become a mooring.

John

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I plan to use a 3:1 OR 4:1 purchase system attached to the end of the boom to lower and raise the outboard. I envision tying a line to keep the boom swung out over the side and in a fixed location then lowering or raising said outboard and either attaching to the dinghy or the stern pulpit. A snap shackle at either end to hook to the boom end and the motor. I will still need to carry the motor from the stern pulpit to the hoist but this should be pretty cheap to make and easy to stow.