• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dinghy Poll

What do you have for a tender?

• Solid Dinghy, Less than 10'

Votes: 82 22.9%
  • Solid Dinghy, 10' or Larger

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Inflatable, Less than 10'

Votes: 164 45.8%
  • Inflatable, 10' or Larger

Votes: 65 18.2%
  • Kayak or similiar small boat.

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • I don't have a tender.

Votes: 46 12.8%
  • I use an engine with my tender.

Votes: 97 27.1%

• Total voters

corkhead

Julian Ashton
about 75 lbs. I use a 4:1 block attached to my spinnaker or main halyard to raise & lower without any problems.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Here is a little info for anyone who uses a West Marine/Zodiac RU-260 rollup dinghy. I bought a used one and found out that the floor slats are only painted plywood and they easily rot and crack. I replaced them with 3/8 inch Starboard which worked well. Recently I discovered that a dutch company, Aqua Dutch, makes a similar size dinghy with an high pressure inflatable floor. This floor fits perfectly in the RU-260 and makes the 260 a very rigid and stable platform. The 260 is so rigid that it wants to plane which with the limited directional stability is real scarry. Aqua Dutch sells these floors for about $220.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

CaptnNero

Accelerant
which AquaDutch model

Thanks Ray, that's exactly what I've been looking for for our RU-260. Do you know if that is their Model 265 Airdeck floor ?

For a keel maybe one could put something like one of those stiff foam "funnoodles" under the airdeck floor.

BTW - West Marine just dropped the RU-260. It's currently being sold as a clearance item.

Ray Rhode said:
Here is a little info for anyone who uses a West Marine/Zodiac RU-260 rollup dinghy. I bought a used one and found out that the floor slats are only painted plywood and they easily rot and crack. I replaced them with 3/8 inch Starboard which worked well. Recently I discovered that a dutch company, Aqua Dutch, makes a similar size dinghy with an high pressure inflatable floor. This floor fits perfectly in the RU-260 and makes the 260 a very rigid and stable platform. The 260 is so rigid that it wants to plane which with the limited directional stability is real scarry. Aqua Dutch sells these floors for about $220.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Ray Rhode

Member III
Neal,

I forgot to mention the size. Yes it is the 265. I have given the noodle some thought but you still need to leave some of the slats in the bottom of the RU-260. Aqua Dutch uses a single slat about 6 to 8 inches wide about mid way from stem to stern. I will be experimenting with the RU-260, and plan to start with one forward, two midship and one astern.

Also looking into fabricating some skegs to mount on the stern to add some directional stabillity. BOAT/US used to carry some skegs that strapped on to the tubes aft of the transom. They no longer carry them and the company's web site is no longer active. I'm thinking about using starboard and rigging them up to the transom on either side just inboard of the tubes.

Ray

Richard Elliott

Member III
Dinghies

I have used an Aquapro 8ft. RIB with an 8hp Yamaha for about six years. The aluminum bottom handles oyster shells and barnacles much better than FG and it is much lighter, about 70lbs vs. over 100 for FG RIBs. Very fast planing with two people aboard and the very large tubes can easily carry four adults. If I do it again I would choose the 8ft 6in model for even better planing. The Yamaha is 2cycle due to the need to hoist it aboard.

Tazman

Member I
Dingy

I have two dingys, one that I use as a toy and one when I need serious transportation. The toy is a 8' West Marine with a 2 hp Merc. 2 stroke. The real dingy is a 11' Achilles (sp) with a 15 hp 2 stroke. The dingy has a inflatable v hull and hits 18 kts with 2 adults. During our summer trips to the Delta, being able to get ice for blender drinks changes camping into leading the good life. I love both and use them differently. I thought I would sell the toy, but it is easy to keep on the boat vs. the "real" which is a pain to store. Plus, even at 65 lbs, the 15 hp is better stored at home.:egrin:

BrianP

Member II
K here we go --- I got a deal on a old 13 ft whaler with a 18 hp evenrude fast twin that i use from niantic river (ct) out to the bay about 1 mile. I keep a deflated infaltible, 3 person in my port locker with a 2 hp murcury and air pump. I am very happy with this set up after coming back in 4 ft seas the whaler got us in, wet but on shore. The other great thing is being able to take 3 persons with all gear. The pump for the inflatable is actually a smog pump off a 2001 saturn sl2 has 1 inch inlet and outlet, pumps up quick and sucks it down flat just as fast 12v of corse.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
8'-6" Saturn Inflateable

I recently purhased new (damaged in Shipping) an 8'-6" Saturn Inflateable being sold out of Florida :BoatstoGo.com It only required two patches to be applied where damage had been done with a ForkLift.
Several months later a "Pick-Up Only" listing for a New Mercury 4 Cycle 4Hp appeared on eBay.
So my Tender Set-up "as new" for approximately $1000. Total. Have not had her on the Water yet but from numerous expiditions to the BVIs' on Charter boats we expect this tender will be more then adequate.

HGSail

Member III
Two 10'4" Hyplon inflatables (Acillies and West Marine) 3 outboard engines(Mariner 4hp, Yamaha 8hp, Tanaka 3hp/spare BU, just acquierd) and 2 sailing Sabots.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Last edited:

Sid

BOATBUMMS
We have a 10' Aquapro with a 15hp Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke. We have been cruising for about 10 years. My wife calls it her Ferrari and she can drag it out of the water herself with the help of the dingy wheels from Recreational Industries in Oregon

Mike.Gritten

Member III
New Dinghy

We just updated our dinghy to a Zodiac Yachtline RIB. We have an old 6hp Johnson that we are trading in on a nice new Honda 8hp 4 stroke. We can't wait to try it all out!

Capt Jeff

Member I
Can't make up my mind

Funny poll for me as we have 1 of each! Our first was kayaks, but sailing was not easy with 2 kayaks on the bow:confused:(E35).... so I found a nice Zodiac 8.5 inflatable on Craigslist cheap (and with good reason) only to have the bottom fall out after 5 uses:mad:... then we found a cheap sailing dinghy 8' on CL also (it works great!):) .... then I sold my truck as I just started my own business and bought a mini van only to find my wife cannot pick up the kayaks over her head to the top of the van:rolleyes:..... so we went looking for a trailer for the van to pull the kayaks.... we were at the Yacht Club when we saw a nice trailer with a light 12' fiberglass boat on it with a FREE BOAT AND TRAILER sign on it! So..... now we have another dinghy!;)

Life is Good!:egrin:

Jeff and Lea in sunny Fl:cool:

Desiderata

Member II
off the subject but...

We recently bought a Bombard (Zodiac) "Typhoon" 9'4 inflatable powered by a 2 hp Honda 4 stroke. Our cohorts warned that 2 hp was not enough, but we wanted something easy for Cheri (and me) to lift. No planing, but with 2 of us and a 15 mph headwind, we have no problem getting wherever we want to go. Also couldn't help noticing the sailcover bearing the Ericson Logo on the boat carrying kayaks. VERY COOL!:egrin:

Nomadbel

Solid Dinghy(?)

Any idea if my Portland pudgy consider as solid Dinghy? It is 8.5 ft, color-yellow with compartments where we put the sail, light, oars and things for survival. It is heavy so we just tow it every time we cross the Baja. A very stable dinghy good for 4 persons. We have old 2 stroke Johnson engine that we use. I forgot what it was made of:confused:.... but it is hard plastic type thing.
Thanks!! Love this thread group.

Nomadbel
1986 E 38-200

chasandjudy

chas and judy
dingy poll

Chas and Judi have changed to a Walker Rid, fantastily stable, great for the grandkids (or any kids for that matter) careless adults. the only draw back is that it is quite heavy (has to be towed) reduces my speed by 3/10 of a knot
P.S. the name of the dingy---I do as I'm towed.

sv-eden@telus.net

HughHarv

Hugh
I have a solid 10' dinghy but I don't know who made it, has a ghost logo on the sail and on the cast rub rail corners at the transom, for lack of a better description. It's not a Ghost, near as I can tell they was only one model, a Ghost 13. Here's a picture of the sail logo, and a couple of the boat just in case somebody out there can tell me what it is. Thanks.

Attachments

• Sail Logo.jpg
    Sail Logo.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Ten Foot Sailboat 2.bmp
    239.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Ten Foot Sailboat.jpg
    Ten Foot Sailboat.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 163

Rolf

Inactive Member
I built my own dinghy . . .

It's a 9footer from plans obtained from www.compumarine.com.

Attached are some pix. Rows like a dream with Shaw and Tenney spoon oars.

rolf

Attachments

• Kiara%20Profile%20II%20(Stbrd).jpg
    Kiara%20Profile%20II%20(Stbrd).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Kiara%20Stem%20Shot.jpg
    Kiara%20Stem%20Shot.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 169
  • Kiara%20Stern%20Shot.jpg
    Kiara%20Stern%20Shot.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 161