• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Do you like your helm configuration? Please share.

ddoles

Member III
@ddoles Your build turned out handsomely. Nice work.

I also see you snuck your GPS antenna above the backstay radar mount. Good idea. I've been puzzling that one out too.

You don't have a separate control head for your autopilot. Does this mean you are controlling the pilot from the Axiom touch-screen? If so, is the Axiom pretty easy/reliable for wet fingers and quick adjustments?

I do have a separate control head for the autopilot. It is on the starboard side of the cockpit, just above the manual bilge pump. The previous owner had an earlier AP controller mounted there so I just kept it in the same place, although a slightly larger hole was needed. From your photo it looks like you may have a control head in the same place. I can control the AP from the MFD or the control head, and routinely use both. The MFD control works very well, but for some things, especially calibration, you need the control head, I believe.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You're welcome, goldenstate. I conversed with Raymarine via their community support board and got help with several questions and issues, especially regarding the NMEA-0183 interfaces and the ability to get signals to the ST-50 instruments.

The jog in the angle guard was done along with a couple stanchions that I had in for repair. The angle guard tilt section, where the Navpod was placed. left barely enough length for the jog. As it was it solved two problems. Besides the floor attachment spacing, the shelf on the pedestal was designed for 12-3/4" spacing and with the yard's help it was modified for the larger angle guard tube and it turned out just fine. I really wanted to save that shelf. I took a piece of 1x3 board and installed the new feet on it to give the rail shop an accurate target for the jog. The shelf now sports a couple fancy cup holders on the front. I can lay my phone down on it too. Others have made their own really nice shelves and the space is very useful.

One thing I will probably do this season is add ventilation and possibly a small fan to the Navpod. After all the other wires are connected to the e7D and the autopilot it is really tight in there. I have had heat-related problems with the touch screen in summer. What happens is in full sun the touch screen gets very hot and the unit does not always respond to touch, plus the display becomes very sluggish and at times is unresponsive. I am glad I have the physical controls as backup. Raymarine has checked out the unit and replaced the touch screen, but it didn't help much. I hope they have solved that problem with the Axiom line. When I add a bimini above the cockpit, that issue will probably go away.

My original VHF was at the companionway to starboard, above the galley. I installed the new Standard Horizon in the same place. The location is protected and convenient for use from below or the cockpit. But it is far from the helm, thus the remote mic. That has worked out very well, but adds a wire to the angle guard legs. Coax routing to that companionway location is tough, but in the E38 there is a zipper in the overhead nearby.

Cheers,
Craig

Edit: refreshed memory of the angle guard configuration and the jog.

Last edited:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I do have a separate control head for the autopilot. It is on the starboard side of the cockpit, just above the manual bilge pump. The previous owner had an earlier AP controller mounted there so I just kept it in the same place, although a slightly larger hole was needed. From your photo it looks like you may have a control head in the same place. I can control the AP from the MFD or the control head, and routinely use both. The MFD control works very well, but for some things, especially calibration, you need the control head, I believe.

Helpful. Is the autopilot always listening to both controllers, (Axiom and the p70) or do you have to toggle between them somehow? (As in, could you bump right ten degrees on the p70, and then 5 seconds later reach over and bump the course left 10 degrees from the Axiom?)

My decorative pilot control head (that is no longer attached to an actual wheel pilot) is on my sad faded beige navpod box. The small black square at the side of my cockpit seen in the side view of my helm is some kind of non-functional speaker. Presently the speaker serves only a decorative purpose.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
@David Grimm Nice work. Lots going on - two pilots, several manufacturers, wired/wireless etc.

What brand is your AIS? Was it a challenge to get the different manufacturer's signals to play nice with each other or was it 'plug-and-play' with the 0183 protocol?

The wall-mounted devices at your nav station back up against your aft head, I believe. The tablet must be surface-mounted. Are the other devices also surface-mounted, or did you devise some clever cabinetry in your shower area?

ddoles

Member III
Helpful. Is the autopilot always listening to both controllers, (Axiom and the p70) or do you have to toggle between them somehow? (As in, could you bump right ten degrees on the p70, and then 5 seconds later reach over and bump the course left 10 degrees from the Axiom?)

My decorative pilot control head (that is no longer attached to an actual wheel pilot) is on my sad faded beige navpod box. The small black square at the side of my cockpit seen in the side view of my helm is some kind of non-functional speaker. Presently the speaker serves only a decorative purpose.
No toggling required. They are both always live. For routine adjustments I reach for whichever is closest at hand. The only thing you need to do on the Axiom is touch an icon on the screen to open the AP window. This is a one touch process. Or if you're making frequent adjustments you leave the window open and ready to go. Its a small and relatively unobtrusive window on the screen so doesn't interfere too much with other stuff in the view.

David Grimm

E38-200
@David Grimm Nice work. Lots going on - two pilots, several manufacturers, wired/wireless etc.

What brand is your AIS? Was it a challenge to get the different manufacturer's signals to play nice with each other or was it 'plug-and-play' with the 0183 protocol?

The wall-mounted devices at your nav station back up against your aft head, I believe. The tablet must be surface-mounted. Are the other devices also surface-mounted, or did you devise some clever cabinetry in your shower area?
The AIS is Vesper Marine just like Christians. I cut a hole for it. It took me a while to commit to it but I am happy with its location. I particularly love the Anchor drift mode. Use it all the time.

Nmea 0183 to the Garmin 0183 rx input wire. Baud rate set to fast. Works great. Shows vessels and their info. Nmea 0183 out of Garmin (tx) to old simrad wheel pilot. Works great. Simrad will steer the boat precisely down the river around bridge abutments folowing the Garmin's commands. The Raymarine pilot is new and I haven't tested its capabilities yet. However the Raymarine wind, and depth-temp sensors on the Seatalkng network both appear accurately on Garmin via Setalkng to NMEA2000 so I don't forsee any problems. My 3 position switch will only allow one pilot on at a time.

Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
One more thing. I had the old Raymarine st60 wind annometer. I liked it but it would have required a $80 cable to get it on the network. So I sold it a got the i70s MFD. I would have gone analog with the i60 but the i70 will display rudder angle , voltage , amps and a whole bunch of engine info. Also a low voltage alarm which I couldn't seem to get up on the screen. If you go with the newer Vesper Marine AIS it's NMEA 2000 and can transmit to the i70s as well. This is a total information overload but I like it. Lol

I keep a Hand Held VHF on me at all times. Typical scenario I find is when calling marinas they like to respond when I'm on deck dropping bumpers off and setting up lines. The below deck VHF is just for that.

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
My boat came with the B&W radar display in a fixed Edson pod on the port guard tube and the Garmin 5 inch B&W chartplotter on a fixed Edson arm on the stbd guard tube. Speed, depth and wind were forward on the bulkhead. The autopilot control head was on the aft end of the stbd cockpit seat, lower right corner of the first picture.2145472_13 Wheel.jpg

I needed to replace the old Signet instruments and get them off the bulkhead where they are always blocked by a passenger. The GPS chartplotter needed to be updated as the chart chips were no longer up to date and supported. I didn't want anything higher than the top of the standard pedestal guard to block my vision forward. I also needed to see all the displays from forward of the wheel when I'm sailing solo on autopilot.

I lowered my port arm and installed a Furuno 8 inch MFD in a Power Pod that tilts and rotates 180 so you can see it from forward of the wheel. This MFD can display the wind, speed and depth as well as a new radar and AIS when I get it. This pod also has a double USB outlet. I added another pod on stbd which holds the Furuno wind display, auto pilot control head (Autohelm ST-7000 under deck - not networked), stereo remote and remote VHF mic. The E36RH has a perfect spot on both sides to mount a display right in front of the helmsman, outboard on the seatback/coaming.

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG
You can see the stbd Furuno multi-display in the lower right of the above picture. These are mounted to the aft face of each seatback right in front of the helmsman.

I could not fit all the cables and connectors inside the 1 inch pedestal guard tubes so I ran them to the cockpit storage hatch side and below deck via a watertight multi-cable gland from Scanstrut. I bundled the cables inside 1.5 inch white plastic cable cover.
IMG_2650.JPG

Mark