• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

dock damaje broken fiberglass in upper part of rail!

marto

Member I
I recently bought anE27 and has a crack aong the rail just avobe the rub rail and before the chainplates.
I open the covers in the insight to asest the damage and the chainplates are intact, no damage in the deck to hull joint either.
seems that somethin hit from the side.
I see that a couple feet aft the sheet rail is screwed to the rail and the screws do not go through the inside of the boat, are they screwed to wood that runs inside the rail?
want to see if to fix it is ffine just fixing the fiberglass or I have to do some core replacement.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ericson27 side view 002.jpg
    ericson27 side view 002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 450

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
On my E29 the sheet track is through bolted with 1/4' bolts that have countersunk heads with a flat screw slot, the nuts are covered on most of them by F/G cloth from the layup of the hull joint. I used a multi tool to cut away the glass that covered them.
It looks like the damage you have may be confined to the toe rail only, if under close inspection this is the case, you might be able to remove that hunk clean the surfaces and bed it back inplace with thickened epoxy. Do you have a picture of the deck at the damaged area?? that would help with a remote evaluation.

marto

Member I
the hit just broke the FB up to the top of toerail, I guess is a matter off reglass it. havent opened all the way yet, is that cavity under the toerail empty, or does it have wood core.

thanks very much for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 234

marto

Member I
I got one 1/4 " screw out this weekend and it went in nice after, I wonder if I can take them off seal it and install back and hope for the nuts to stay on place since they are glased over.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Marto,

It looks like someone may have cut the toerail off there to provide drainage for the side decks then decided to put it back. The cracks/cuts look too even and there seems to be some caulk under the loose piece.

Dan Morehouse

Member III
I agree with Mark. That break is too symmetrical to be a simple failure or simple impact damage. I've thought of adding a toerail drain to a spot that collects water on the side deck of my boat, and those slanted 'breaks" are exactly the sort of cuts I envisioned making to accomplish it. Is the damage at or near the lowest spot on your side deck? If so, I'd call that a dead giveaway that someone cut out a drain hole...and then filled it back in.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"