• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Documenting an E27

aaronwestward

Learning to sail
Does an Ericson 27 have enough displacement by USCG standards to be eligable for documentation? Has anyone ever done it?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tonnage...

FWIW, I have seen sailboats as small as 25 feet documented. :rolleyes:
IIRC there is a tonnage formula that relates to amount of cargo a vessel is capable of carrying, that is calculated to see if a given hull meets the minimum sizing.
I would guess that your E-27 would make the grade.

Wild guess: the larger difficulty might be establishing a chain of ownership, starting with a proof of construction signed off by a ship's carpenter (or whatever paperwork is nowadays acceptable).
My memories are way out of date, from back in the 70's when I had cruising-destined friends documenting their boats in preparation to "go foreign."

I would hazard a guess that the USCG site has all the info you need, with a bit of searching.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/interactive_tonnage.asp

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Capt. Max

Member II
I am very interested in this myself. We are planning on taking my E 27
To Abaco Bahamas this fall. Good Topic.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
According to the National Vessel Documentation Center Frequently Asked Questions:

WHAT VESSELS MAY BE DOCUMENTED?
A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S.

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY VESSEL MEASURES FIVE NET TONS?
Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume.** It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons.** Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more.** For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Center's web site at the Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

dt222

Member III
Documentation Details

Hi Aaron,
My boat was previously documented, but subsequent owners did not continue with it.

From the Certificate of Documentation (dated 11/26/82) the gross tonnage was 8.53, Net tonnage 7, and the L. B. D. was 26.7/9/7.1

The vessel was documented for pleasure.

The restrictions (home port of Providence, RI)- No coast wise or great lakes license (9), No fisheries license (4), No registry (1)

HTH
Don

dwigle

Member III
Easier than you might think.

I documented our 38 last spring and it turned out to be easier than expected. The forms are pretty straight forward, and most of the measurements came from the original brochure on this site. My California title was the only ownership documentation needed. Check out the Coast Guard site and go over the forms a few times. It's really not that bad. No worry about chain of ownership or proof of construction.

Good luck,
Don

Wiggle Room
E38 #8
Pt. Richmond, CA