• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Does anyone store oil pump on board?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We are planning a two week sailing trip on our E30+ to an area with less services, so I'm doing lots of prep work and some risk management to ensure the trip goes as well as possible. I normally don't carry our oil pump on board, as it's a bit bulky and potentially a bit messy if it tips on it's side and remnants of the last oil change leak a bit. But I'm thinking that it would be good to be able to do an emergency oil change if I get contamination in the oil for some reason (I can't off hand remember what that may be, but coolant in the oil comes to mind).

So my question is do any of you carry your oil change pump on board, and if so, any suggestions on where to store it where it will be out of the way, but not fall over and leak. The most out of the way location I can think of where it won't get in the way is right at the stern behind the rudder post, but I would want to be sure that it can't get caught in the steering cables if the boat is bouncing a bit in waves. I would likely wrap it in a large plastic garbage bag, and try to wedge it in, but I don't know if that might just create problems of its own...

Any suggestions?

Frank

Last edited:

Emerald

Do you have a cockpit locker with a bulkhead you could put two screw eyes into and then use a bungee chord to strap it to?

Chris A.

Member III
My 2 cents: carry fresh motor oil, don't worry about an oil change pump (I assume you're talking about an electric pump with a built in resevoir?) If that doesn't seem adequate to you, you could carry a small, easily stored hand pump. In the unlikely event that you're going to change you're oil in the course of the next 2 weeks, you could pump into empty water jugs or the like....

FWIW!

Cheers,

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Does your engine have a hose to the oil sump or do you pump the oil out of the dipstick hole. I have a cheapie drill powered pump that I hook up to the sump hose on the engine to pump the oil. The pump was $17 and has lasted 4 seasons now. Much easier to store than a big bucket. Used oil can go in empty water bottles. Lastly a hand pump will pull the oil through a sump hose setup very well too. Thats easy, cheap and no power required.

RT

Frank Langer

Thanks, guys. A friend gave me the oil extractor pump which is the tall (2') plastic one, about 8" diameter. It works really well, pulling the oil through a drain hose attached to the bottom of the oil pan, but it is bulky. I don't have a good bulkhead to attach it to (there is only one cockpit locker on the E30+, so I have to be able to get into it to work on steering, rudder, PSS, transmission check, etc. and it's quite full of spare parts, tools, life jackets, etc.

It may make most sense to pick up a small hand pump as one of you suggested, and then drain oil into whatever container we have available in an emergency.

I was also hoping to store it on the boat, as we have limited space in our condo storage. But maybe that just isn't practical.

But if you have any more great suggestions, please keep them coming! :)

Frank

Glyn Judson

What oil pump to use.

Frank, For a more permanent solution you might want to consider using a 12 volt pump plumbed directly to your crankcase drain assuming you already have a drain, I had to create one for my Yanmar 3GMF. I've used two different bumps on that engine and can say from personal field experience that the Reverso OP-6 is the cats pajamas. With the flick of a switch you can drain the old oil into a suitable container and then simply place the hose into the new oil container, flip the switch the other direction and fill the crankcase with fresh oil. I was shocked the first time I used it because the old oil took something on the order of 30 seconds to fully drain!!! It was so fast that I initially thought something was wrong with the pump or my installation until I looked into the old Delo bottle I'd drained the oil into to confirm that, yes, the correct amount of oil was in there. The only down side is that they're a bit pricey and a bit of an effort to mount and wire up. My great suggestion at your request, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Frank Langer

Thanks, Glyn. Always something new to think about on a boat, but I guess that's what keeps it interesting. The pump you mention sounds ideal, so I'll look into it, though price may lead me to a simpler/cheaper option.

Thanks again, guys!

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As he holds the switch down

Hokey Smoke! Glyn.....
At 3 gallons per minute, the oil is out in 20 seconds. In another 20 seconds the pan flattens, and the minute finishes out with the block imploding...
:p
"Did anyone hear a 'crunching' noise?" sez Glyn... As his dog lays down with his paws over his eyes, again....
;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

:egrin:

Loren

ps: edit: on a more helpful note, this pump is available at Fisheries Supply for a discount price of $251.10 (plus some S&H).

Last edited:

pick

Member II
If I'm to be gone for two weeks I don't take oil changing stuff along. Twice we've been out for eight weeks. The first time I took one of those drill type pumps. Worked OK but had to use an electric plug-in drill to power it long enough (probably weak batteries on my battery drill). The good news is that it's compact and easy to store and fits into a zip-lock bag. The second time I went with the suction type that looks like and old gas can since I didn't know how often I would have shore power. It is bulky however but then it is pretty neat and stores the oil until you can dispose of it. I decided against the hand pump type as they seem like a mess to keep clean. I probably put as much thought into this as anything in preparation of my trips, still can't say I happy. :esad:

Mike

bayhoss

Member III
Take the pump

Hi Frank , I just got back from one heck of a good time changing and re- changing the oil on my E28. My fuel pump went out, and as a result of overcranking due to air locks in the line from replacing the pump (it does not take as much as you think to overcrank) got water into the oil. It took six (6) quarts of oil and two filters to get the goo out of the engine. Without a pump to pull it out I would have been in trouble.
Enjoy the trip!

Best,
Frank